Men's soccer beats Bowling Green 1-0, ready for Michigan on Sunday

Junior forward Ryan Sierakowski (11) and junior forward DeJuan Jones (6) greet fans after the game against Bowling Green State on Sep. 13, 2017, at DeMartin Stadium at Old College Field. The Spartans defeated the Falcons 1-0.
Junior forward Ryan Sierakowski (11) and junior forward DeJuan Jones (6) greet fans after the game against Bowling Green State on Sep. 13, 2017, at DeMartin Stadium at Old College Field. The Spartans defeated the Falcons 1-0. —
Photo by Anntaninna Biondo | The State News

The No. 6 ranked MSU men’s soccer team beat No. 19 Bowling Green State University 1-0 last night, under the lights of DeMartin Stadium.

Junior forward Ryan Sierakowski scored the lone goal for the Spartans, netting a penalty kick with 37:11 left in the second half.

“As a striker, it always feels good to score goals,” Sierakowski said. “Hopefully the floodgates will open.”

Sierakowski said even if the floodgates haven’t opened yet for him, the rest of his team has been able to pick up work.

“If I’m not scoring I can assist, I can free up other guys,” Sierakowski said. “As long as I’m contributing, I’m happy.”

This win improves MSU’s record 6-0, making it the first time since 1968 the Spartans started off 6-0. This wins also makes the Spartans one of six teams that are still undefeated in Division I men’s soccer.

The Spartans win over the Falcons Wednesday night also makes it the Spartans fifth shutout win this season.

While winning only 1-0 isn’t ideal for head coach Damon Rensing, Rensing said tonight was an exception.

“We had two or three sure goals that (Bowling Green’s) goalie pulled out of the net,” Rensing said. “I thought we stayed poised, didn’t get too excited and anxious and it was a very professional win.”

The Spartans will face off next against the No. 18 University of Michigan, in the battle of the Big Bear trophy in Ann Arbor this Sunday at noon.

Rensing said MSU vs. U-M is a “great rivalry” and has respect for both of the programs.

“There’s nothing like grabbing a trophy, no matter what the game is and bringing it back to your bench,” Rensing said. “You wanna grab it and say ‘Hey, this is ours again.”

Rensing said it will be a more back and forth game, and said "it will be fun."

"Both teams will put numbers forward, Michigan’s going to attack so the game is going to be more open, so that will lend them more chances for both teams,” Rensing said. “We’re just gonna have to be the one that finishes more than they do.”

Share and discuss “Men's soccer beats Bowling Green 1-0, ready for Michigan on Sunday” on social media.