Fearing a potential move, community shows support for Lansing food truck El Oasis

<p>The El Oasis trailer is pictured on Aug. 31, 2017 at El Oasis at 2501 E. Michigan Ave. In Lansing. Lansing resident Ralph Vandervlught has been making complaints about the El Oasis truck after moving right next to it in July. El Oasis has put up a petition to keep their truck's location on Michigan Avenue.</p>

The El Oasis trailer is pictured on Aug. 31, 2017 at El Oasis at 2501 E. Michigan Ave. In Lansing. Lansing resident Ralph Vandervlught has been making complaints about the El Oasis truck after moving right next to it in July. El Oasis has put up a petition to keep their truck's location on Michigan Avenue.

Photo by Jon Famurewa | The State News

On August 24, El Oasis, a taco truck located on the corner of Michigan Avenue and Francis Avenue, put up a petition to keep its spot in that location. Over the span of a week, they received more than 950 customer signatures. 

The petition read, “If you support us and our food we’d really appreciate if you could sign this to keep us here. Thank you very much. Love El Oasis.” 

Serving Mexican cuisine since 2005 in the Lansing area, El Oasis has recently been receiving complaints from a local resident who moved to the house right next to the lot. According to Lansing resident and MSU Alum Young Yi, people began to fear that the establishment would have to move, and expressed their hope for the popular food truck to stick around. 

"I’ve been in Rural parts of Mexico and I can confidently say that it’s very very close to that level of authenticity," Yi said. " The flavor is good and the prices aren’t too expensive.” 

jtf-4656

Yi signed the petition when it was first posted and brought friends along later to sign it as well. Other customers like Lansing resident Kaliah Butler also show support.

“They're gonna have to take me with it, I love this place too much," Butler said. "I’ve been going here for four years now and this is my go-to spot, definitely."

El Oasis responded to the support with a Facebook post.

“From my understanding living on the East side now, there’s a strong sense we feel there where we really appreciate the local Lansing establishments,"  Yi said. "It was definitely encouraging to see that.” 

El Oasis Manager Marcos Torrez declined to comment on the matter at the time of publication.

Share and discuss “Fearing a potential move, community shows support for Lansing food truck El Oasis” on social media.