Nassar in the News: Aly Raisman criticizes USA Gymnastics, USOC, Klages subs at Twistars Gymnastics Club

Head coach Kathie Klages watches the team warm up for beam on Feb. 13, 2015, at the women's gymnastics meet against Michigan. Michigan defeated Michigan State with a score of 196.725-194.850. Emily Nagle/The State News
Head coach Kathie Klages watches the team warm up for beam on Feb. 13, 2015, at the women's gymnastics meet against Michigan. Michigan defeated Michigan State with a score of 196.725-194.850. Emily Nagle/The State News —

Editor's Note — The description of the article 'Former MSU gymnastics coach Klages working at gymnastics club' has been updated at 3:40 p.m. to reflect the newest information from the original article.

Former MSU gymnastics coach Klages working at gymnastics club | The State News | Aug. 28, 2017

Ex-MSU gymnastics head coach Kathie Klages subbed for an absent Twistars Gymnastics Club employee for two days, Twistars confirmed Monday.

Previous articles from WILX Channel 10 and WLNS Channel 6 reported Klages had started working at Twistars in a temporary position. According to the gym, Klages was simply “helping John (Geddert) out for two days and she won’t be back.”

Klages’ time at Twistars was not as an employee, Twistars said, and she is not on the gym’s payroll.

Twistars has been in hot water for nearly a year. Nassar previously treated young athletes at the gym and some young girls allege it was the setting of his abuse. Twistars is also a defendant in a number of civil suits, many alongside MSU.

Klages is accused of defending ex-MSU doctor Larry Nassar and discouraging athletes from reporting sexual abuse. According to court documents, Klages was reported to have been aware of allegations of Nassar's sexual abuse as early as 1997. 

She was suspended by MSU Feb. 13. She retired the next day.

Banned gymnastics coach Don Peters denies having sex with minors in deposition tied to civil suit | Los Angeles Daily News | Aug. 24, 2017

Under oath, a former U.S. Olympic team coach denied having sexual relations with underage gymnasts. Don Peters was banned by USA Gymnastics in 2011.

During a deposition on Monday, Peters denied the allegations that sexual relations took place in the 1980s when he was serving as U.S. national team coach.

The deposition took place as a part of a civil suit filed against Nassar, USA Gymnastics and others by a former U.S. national team gymnast.

Aly Raisman criticizes USA Gymnastics, USOC for response to sex abuse scandal | USA Today | Aug. 19, 2017

Aly Raisman is now the highest profile gymnast to criticize USA Gymnastics and the U.S. Olympic Committee.

The three-time Olympic gold medalist has denounced the organizations for their response to mass allegations of sexual abuse within the sport.

She said she feels as if the organizations are more concerned with protecting themselves legally and sweeping it under the rug than they are with preventing abuse in the future. 

Share and discuss “Nassar in the News: Aly Raisman criticizes USA Gymnastics, USOC, Klages subs at Twistars Gymnastics Club” on social media.