Meet the class of 2021

On August 27, move-in day woke Michigan State's campus up from its summer slumber. New students from across the world left their hometowns to begin their experience in East Lansing. At the Brody Complex, a few of the newest Spartans from the Class of 2021 dished on what the change from high school to college meant for them.

Chris Grant, 19

Business major from Detroit, MI

jtf-9306

What excites you most about dorm life?

• "Just being around friends. I met most of the people on our floor, most of the people were cool, chill people, so just cooperating with everybody, chilling." 

What scares you the most about dorm life?

• "My R.A. probably. He’s a chill dude though, I guess. I don’t know, I feel like I’ll be blasting music or something." 

What will you miss the most about your hometown?

• "It’s a lot of stuff that happens in Detroit. Me and my friend right here, like every weekend we would go to the races ... I mean it’s illegal, but it’s fun. People bring nice cars, you see nice cars, they race them ... It'll be like 100 cars, like 100, 200 people come like every weekend." 

What's the best rumor you've heard about MSU?

• "Parties. I heard about a couple darties, I don’t know, I’m not really a day-parties type guy, but I mean I could try it out." 

Madison Dell, 18

Mechanical engineering major from DeWitt, MI

jtf-9299

What excites you most about dorm life?

• "I am excited to kind of be in my own place and finally be an adult and get to do the things that I want to do, without pressure from my parents or my friends or really anything from my hometown. I’m just excited to get out and do my own thing." 

• "Just the pressure of everything, and having to do my own laundry." 

What will you miss most about your hometown?

• "Honestly, probably just my job. I work at McDonald’s. It’s like where all my friends are, and how I get all my social interaction. I just love doing it and I’m taking a leave so hopefully I’ll come back, but that’s really all I’m gonna miss. And my cats." 

• "I’ve heard that the Beaumont Tower is haunted, that the garden is haunted. I haven’t heard a lot of other rumors. Even my brother hasn’t told me anything, he’s been here the past four years."

Justin Hannemann, 18

Business major from Portage, MI

jtf-9287

What excites you most about dorm life?

• "The recently renovated dorms, the bigger dorms and the cafeteria here." 

• "How big the campus is. I just need to get used to the size of it." 

• "Having my house, just having a kitchen and my mom cooking food right there for me, and having more amenities in my house rather than just a small dorm room here." 

• "I’ve heard lots of things, but people say dining is great here." 

Olivia Bloway, 18

Undecided major from Lansing, MI

jtf-9279

What excites you most about dorm life?

• "Just meeting my roommate, you know, getting to know new people 'cause I went to a small high school in Lansing and there wasn’t that many people at the school." 

• "Not liking my roommate. That one’s easy." 

• "My friends and my grandma, and just, you know, seeing people that I know every day." 

• "The best rumor, ooh. I don’t think I really, I can’t, I can’t think of any. My mind is blank right now." 

Eliza Turnage, 18

Zoology major from Livonia, MI

jtf-9290

What excites you most about dorm life?

• "I’m just really excited about just organizing this place. Like,I got so excited decorating this has been the most fun thing, like I’ve been packing for two weeks, organizing everything I own, like oh my gosh. Boxes." 

• "I’m afraid I’m like gonna fail at all adult things." 

• "Obviously all my friends, because they’ve all dispersed and that’s, like, really sad. And my cats, definitely. But, I don’t know, my hometown is kind of simple. It’s kinda just got a lot of like, stores that are chains and nothing special." 

• "There’s like ghosts, like, everywhere. Basically everywhere ... So yeah, all the ghosts. I’m gonna have to find them." 

Share and discuss “Meet the class of 2021” on social media.