LJ Scott named to Doak Walker award watch list

Senior fullback Prescott Line (45) shares a moment with sophomore running back LJ Scott (3) during the first half of the game against Ohio State on Nov. 19, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans were defeated by the Buckeyes, 17-16.
Senior fullback Prescott Line (45) shares a moment with sophomore running back LJ Scott (3) during the first half of the game against Ohio State on Nov. 19, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans were defeated by the Buckeyes, 17-16. —

Junior running back LJ Scott has been added to another nationwide watch list.

The PwC SMU Athletic Forum included Scott as one of 10 players from the Big Ten on the 61-player watch list Thursday, per MSU Athletic Communications. The Doak Walker Award — named after Southern Methodist's three-time former All-American — honors the nation's top running back.

Scott was also named to the Maxwell Award Watch List on July 10, which is given to America's College Player of the Year.

Scott — originally from Hubbard, Ohio — earned third-team All-Big Ten honors by the media last season while leading the team and setting career-bests with 994 rushing yards, 184 carries and six rushing touchdowns.

Scott tied for third-most in the conference in 2016 with five 100-yard games, four of which came in the last six games of the season, including a career-best 160 yards rushing and 236 all-purpose yards performance against then-No. 2 Ohio State on Nov. 19.

Through his first two seasons, Scott has rushed for 1,693 yards — fifth most among any MSU running back through their first two seasons — and 17 touchdowns in 26 games.

The PwC SMU Athletic Forum Board of Directors will announce 10 semifinalists on Nov. 15 and three finalists will be announced on Nov. 20. The award's selection committee will vote on Nov. 26 to determine the recipient.

The selection panel consists of past recipients, former NFL All-Pro and college All-America running backs, media members and other selected individuals.

The recipient of the award will be announced at The Home Depot College Football Awards show on Dec. 7. 

MSU kicks off the season on Sept. 2 with a home game against Bowling Green.

Share and discuss “LJ Scott named to Doak Walker award watch list” on social media.