East Lansing, Lansing 14th most educated city in America in WalletHub ranking
In a list of 2017's most and least educated cities in America, the East Lansing–Lansing area was ranked 14th most educated out of a listed 150 cities. The ranking was created by WalletHub, a personal finance website.
According to the rankings, analysts examined the 150 largest metropolitan statistical areas and looked at the "educational attainment" and "quality of education and attainment gap" as the main dimensions.
East Lansing–Lansing was ranked 14th overall with a total score of 63.78 (out of 100, where 100 would represent the most educated city possible). East Lansing–Lansing was also ranked 23rd for educational attainment and seventh for quality of education and attainment gap.
Ann Arbor was rated the most educated city in America at its first place standing in the ranking.
Ann Arbor also ranked first for highest percentage of associate degree holders or college-experienced adults, bachelor's degree holders and graduate or professional degree holders. Ann Arbor ranked second for highest percentage of high school diploma holders.
For each area evaluated, both the educational attainment and the quality of education and attainment gap were evaluated through the examination of census data, labor statistics, school rankings and other reports.
The educational attainment dimension for each city involved four metrics:
- The share of adults 25 years or older with at least a high school diploma
- The share of adults 25 years or older with at least some college experience or at least an associate's degree
- The share of adults 25 years or older with at least a bachelor's degree
- The share of adults 25 years or older with at least a graduate or professional degree
As for the quality of education and attainment gap dimension, five metrics were used:
- The quality of the area's public school system
- The average quality of the area's universities
- The enrolled students in the top 231 universities per capita
- The racial education gap
- The gender education gap
Using a 100-point scale, analysts were able to determine each area's weighted average. Analysts were then able to rank the cities.