ELPD makes arrest after gunshots fired near Reno's

<p>An East Lansing police car is pictured on July 6th, 2017.</p>

An East Lansing police car is pictured on July 6th, 2017.

Photo by Jon Famurewa | The State News

A 34-year-old East Lansing man was arrested early Monday after he was suspected of firing multiple gunshots in the air, according to a release from ELPD. 

Officers arrived at Reno's East on Abbot Road at approximately 1:20 a.m. and found the suspect had left the area. Officers obtained a detailed description of the suspect and the vehicle he was driving from witnesses, the release states. 

While officers were still at the scene, ELPD received another call of shots fired at the 1600 block of Greencrest Avenue. Responding officers made contact with the suspect matching the description of the man accused in the Reno's East incident.

A brief investigation confirmed the suspect was also the same suspect from Reno's East. ELPD recovered a loaded handgun and two fully loaded magazines from the suspect at the scene.

"There's still a little bit of an investigation going on," ELPD Lt. Steve Gonzalez said in a phone interview. "(We're) trying to figure out the motive and reasoning behind this guys' actions."

Gonzalez also said there were no injuries or any property damage reported to ELPD. 

The suspect will remain in custody at the East Lansing Police Jail until his arraignment. Gonzalez said his arraignment would likely be sometime Tuesday.

Stay with The State News for updates.

Share and discuss “ELPD makes arrest after gunshots fired near Reno's” on social media.