Southfield Christian's Brock Washington headed to MSU as preferred walk-on

<p>Brock Washington shooting a shot. Washington, a guard, accepted a preferred walk-on position with MSU basketball. Photo courtesy of Brock Washington.</p>

Brock Washington shooting a shot. Washington, a guard, accepted a preferred walk-on position with MSU basketball. Photo courtesy of Brock Washington.

The Spartans have added a second preferred walk-on to the roster for the upcoming basketball season.

Brock Washington of Southfield Christian High School announced on Twitter Tuesday he would be taking his talents to MSU. The 6-foot-4, 185-pound small forward is a native of Detroit. He reportedly had offers from Oakland University and multiple Mid-American Conference schools, according to the Detroit Free Press.

"I've always been an MSU fan," Washington said over Twitter. "My father is an alumni, so I've been following the team all my life. I'm very blessed because the other schools that were recruited me all offered attractive opportunities, and I've met some really cool coaches."

Washington helped lead the Eagles to the MSHAA Class D state semifinals this season at the Breslin Center. Washington also set the school's single-game scoring record with 40 points against Plymouth Christian. The Free Press also reported that Washington is also the school's all-time leading 3-point shooter with 148 made field goals from beyond the arc. 

This year under coach Josh Baker, Washington shot 43 percent from the field and averaged 12.5 points, 6.5 rebounds and two assists per contest. He and his brother, Bryce, were selected as Class D first-team all-state selections by the Associated Press.

"Coach Izzo and Coach (Dwayne) Stephens are fantastic," Washington said. "I also played AAU basketball with the same program as Miles (Brides) and Cassius (Winston) so I've looked up to them for years."

Head coach Tom Izzo also added Robert Morris transfer Braden Burke in early May as a preferred walk-on, but due to NCAA transfer rules will sit out this season. Last season, Burke averaged 4.3 points and 2.7 rebounds a game for the Colonials as a true freshman. He started in seven games and shot 42.4 percent from the field. 

The Spartans will also bring back graduate transfer Ben Carter, who was granted a sixth season of NCAA eligibility after sitting out all of last season due to a knee injury during a preseason workout.

MSU still has one scholarship spot open for the upcoming season after signing Jaren Jackson Jr. and Xavier Tillman. The Spartans are still in the mix for five-star recruit Brian Bowen, a teammate of Jackson at La Lumiere High School.

Share and discuss “Southfield Christian's Brock Washington headed to MSU as preferred walk-on” on social media.