MSU student uses art to run custom apparel business

<p>Graphic design sophomore DeMarco Jackson poses for a photo on April 27, 2017 at Kergse Art Center. Jackson designs and sells his own apparel along with his own art.</p>

Graphic design sophomore DeMarco Jackson poses for a photo on April 27, 2017 at Kergse Art Center. Jackson designs and sells his own apparel along with his own art.

Photo by Jon Famurewa | The State News

Graphic design sophomore DeMarco Jackson is turning his passion for modern and urban art into a business.

“I met DeMarco in seventh grade,” mechanical engineering sophomore Demetria Webster said. “Since I’ve known DeMarco he’s been a really wonderful artist. Now he has really stepped up his art. He’s started his own business, his art is really creative and unique. He designs shoes and hats and so he’s really coming into his own with his art and I think he’s doing a wonderful job with that.” 

Jackson’s business, called WreckThatDeesign, uses art to customize apparel, shoes and hats. When the business first started out, Jackson only did shoe cleanings, customizations and repairs.

“Then I thought why not do something that involves clothes and hats and something that involves selling my own artwork,” Jackson said.  

Students come to Jackson with jackets, jeans, hats or anything that needs an upgrade. Most of his customers come from social media and by word of mouth, but Jackson hopes to expand in the near future.

“I hope I can eventually get a website going and start selling all across the world," Jackson said. "I just want to sell my artwork to other people."

Jackson has been working on a number of new ideas. With the coming summer, he hopes to sell more summer-inspired designs including visors and small backpacks.

“We’ve often been brainstorming for better products, I’m hoping that his business will expand and reach a bigger variety of people,” journalism and Spanish sophomore Justine Baker said.

Baker said she's from the same city as Jackson, and for the longest time, Baker said Jackson has been transfixed with art over the years.

"He's always been drawing, he draws all the time," Baker said. "He always was out there to customize people's things and always asked people if they needed any artwork done or anything customized.

Baker helps with Jackson’s design process and helps him design apparel that will attract not only men, but the female market as well.

“I really hope that he gets recognized or gets the recognition that he deserves, because I know that he works really hard for it,” Webster said. “So I hope a lot of people become acquainted with his art and he’s able to sell a lot of things. … I think the sky is the limit for what he can do with it.”       

Share and discuss “MSU student uses art to run custom apparel business” on social media.