Former MSU football player Auston Robertson apprehended, waiting to be extradited
Former MSU defensive lineman Auston Robertson is being held in a Ft. Wayne, Ind. jail and is awaiting to be extradited back to Michigan, officials said.
Steve Hetherington, a supervisory deputy for the U.S. Marshal’s Western District of Michigan office said Robertson, 19, was arrested without incident in his hometown of Fort Wayne on Saturday. Fort Wayne police also confirmed Robertson was in their custody and was awaiting to be extradited on Monday afternoon.
Robertson is awaiting a return back to Michigan after allegedly raping an acquaintance at her place of residence. According to Allen County Higher Court 4 online records, Robertson waived his extradition rights Monday morning.
A warrant was issued for Robertson’s arrest by Ingham County District Court on April 21 and he faces a charge of third-degree criminal sexual conduct.
When seeking the warrant, Meridian Township Police Sgt. Brad Bach said he believed Robertson to be a flight risk, as he previously fled to Indiana after the initial incident.
Robertson’s bond was set to $75,000 and he could face up to 15 years in prison if convicted, but he has not yet been arraigned by the 55th District Court as of Monday afternoon, according to online court records.
Robertson was suspended by the football team on April 9, and was dismissed from the team on Friday. The incident allegedly involving Robertson is separate from another ongoing criminal investigation involving three other MSU football players who were also suspended by the university on Feb. 9. Robertson played in MSU’s spring game on April 1.
Robertson was also arrested in January 2016 on a criminal misdemeanor battery charge after an October 2015 incident at his high school, Wayne High. Robertson was accused of improperly touching a female classmate, according to Allen Superior Court 4 records. He entered into a diversionary program for that case, which he completed March 11.
Court records indicate Robertson was cleared of the battery charge on March 22 — 18 days before the newest allegations were brought forward — after completing the diversionary program.
Stay with The State News for continuing developments.