Spartan Track and Field sees success in only home meet of season

<p>Then-junior pole vaulter Tim Ehrhardt poles vaults during the Big Ten men&#x27;s and women&#x27;s indoor track and field championship on Feb. 24, 2017, at SPIRE Institute in Geneva, Ohio.</p>

Then-junior pole vaulter Tim Ehrhardt poles vaults during the Big Ten men's and women's indoor track and field championship on Feb. 24, 2017, at SPIRE Institute in Geneva, Ohio.

MSU track and field saw several first-place finishes and top times at its only home meet of the year last weekend, the Auto-Owners Insurance Spartan Invitational.

Redshirt-freshman Mackenzie Weiler took first in the women's 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 11:08.36. In the women's 1,500-meter race, MSU runners took every spot in the top 10.

Sophomore Dililon McClintock won the 800-meter run with a personal best time of 2:07.12, with Spartans taking the next four slots behind him, rounding out the top five.

Sophomore Asya Reynolds earned first place in the intermediate hurdles with a time of 14.27. Spartans rounded out the top three, with sophomore Maya Roberts and redshirt-freshman Andrea Pangori finishing second and third, respectively. Sophomore Taylor Mullins earned first place in the 200-meter hurdles as well.

Sophomore Taylor Hopp also picked up a first place finish for MSU in the 100-meter dash with a time of 12.13. MSU also took first, second and third places in the 200-meter dash.

In the meet’s field events, junior Morgan Johnson and sophomore Autumn Robinson took first and second place in the long jump.

Junior Jade Madison won the javelin throw and her final throw went 38.99-meters. Junior Katelyn Daniels earned two first-place finishes in the shot put and discus events.

For the men, redshirt-senior Nick Soter and redshirt-junior Andrew Middleton took third and fourth place, respectively, in the 1,500-meter run. Redshirt-senior Sherod Hardt also recorded a qualifying time in the same event.

Sophomore Will Agodu earned first place in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 14.39, while freshmen Sam Binkowski and Nick Moore took third and fourth, respectively.

The Spartans swept the top three of the 400-meter hurdles with senior David Washington leading the way. Freshman Savalas Morgan placed in two events at the meet, taking first place in the 100-meter dash with a time of 11.13 and second in the 200-meter dash with a time of 22.37.

The men’s side saw success in the field events, too, with MSU sweeping the top three in the long jump. Redshirt-senior Justin Pederson jumped 6.96-meters and earned first place. Sophomore Cody Stemple earned first place in the men’s high jump after clearing 2.06-meters.

Junior Max Knoblock also nabbed a first-place finish in the javelin throw with a distance of 56.27-meters.

MSU will take part in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge April 14-15 in Lexington, Ky. 

Share and discuss “Spartan Track and Field sees success in only home meet of season” on social media.