Man charged with criminal sexual conduct after alleged assault on Grand River

An alleged criminal sexual conduct was reported to the East Lansing police on March 29 at about 10:30 p.m. at 541 E. Grand River Ave., East Lansing Police Department Lt. Steve Gonzalez said.

"We had officers respond to that area, they made contact with the victim and took a statement and also got a description and identity of the individual that was ultimately charged with this," Gonzalez said.

The suspect, Matthew R. Torres, a 38-year-old Lansing resident, was located that night and was taken into custody. He was charged with criminal sexual conduct third degree, Gonzalez said.

Torres was arraigned on March 31 and bond was set at $250,000. He posted bond and is scheduled to be in court on April 14 for a preliminary examination conference, according to court records.

“We’re not going to release any details on the incident at this point in time other than the fact that there was a prior connection between both the victim and the suspect," Gonzalez said. "The best way to describe their relationship is that they were acquaintances. The main reason that we’re not going to release the details is because this is still in the early phases of the court process."

Share and discuss “Man charged with criminal sexual conduct after alleged assault on Grand River” on social media.