Letter: Happy belated birthday Cesar E. Chavez

By Santiago Rios

Santiago Rios is a Lansing attorney, and former chairperson of the Capital Area Cesar E. Chavez Commission

For many of us, hearing or seeing the name of Cesar E. Chavez is a source of pride, inspiration and hope. And rightfully so, Chavez is a great American hero who sacrificed his life to improve the lives of many. We all have a stake in preserving and proclaiming his legacy as a union and civil rights leader, a community organizer and a crusader for non-violent social change.

Headlines and newscasts reporting criminal allegations that a former state employee embezzled more than $70,000 from public funds, which were intended to erect an honorary statute of Chavez, should not deter us from pushing forward on that objective. Nor should it in any way take away from the importance of proclaiming and honoring the legacy of this great American.

Sadly, these alleged crimes got front page coverage on every major newspaper and were headline news on television. If true, they represent a breach of trust that affects the fiber of our public and private institutions, and an unfair low blow to the Latino community. But, true or not, these reports highlighted the Chavez name in a negative context.

It should concern us that on March 31, Chavez’s birthday, and Cesar E. Chavez Day in Michigan, his name was absent or barely mentioned in the media. Yet, there were numerous local, statewide and national celebrations that apparently went unnoticed or ignored.

While the courts will determine whether a crime was committed, we as a community must not be deterred by the alleged criminal acts of one person. We must view this as an opportunity to renew and refresh our resolve to proclaim the legacy of Cesar E. Chavez. As Chavez said, "We draw our strength from the very despair in which we have been forced to live. We shall endure."

As I have previously written, the words of Cesar E. Chavez can inspire us and keep us honest. Their image can instill a sense of pride and courage because great results seldom come easy or without sacrifice. And history has recorded a magnificent text book of life lessons from this extraordinary man that keep teaching, and from which we must keep learning. We must work hard to create positive action to achieve social and human justice. Chavez said: "There is no substitute for hard work, 23 or 24 hours a day. And there is no substitute for patience and acceptance."

I encourage all to learn more about Chavez. The Chavez Foundation and the MSU Library Cesar E. Chavez Collection are excellent resources.

Hopefully, funds for the statute are quickly restored and put to their intended use. In any event, we must encourage the media to properly recognize and report on the legacy of Cesar E. Chavez, and minimally report his birthday celebration next year, and for years to come.

In the meantime, Happy Belated Birthday, Cesar E. Chavez. Si Se Puede!

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Times} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Times; min-height: 14.0px}

Share and discuss “Letter: Happy belated birthday Cesar E. Chavez” on social media.