MSU women's basketball's Tori Jankoska named to WBCA All-Region team

Head coach Suzy Merchant and senior guard Tori Jankoska (1) display emotion during the game against the Maryland in the semi-final round of the women's Big Ten Tournament on March 4, 2017 at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. The Spartans were defeated by the Terrapins, 100-89.
Head coach Suzy Merchant and senior guard Tori Jankoska (1) display emotion during the game against the Maryland in the semi-final round of the women's Big Ten Tournament on March 4, 2017 at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. The Spartans were defeated by the Terrapins, 100-89. —
Photo by Jon Famurewa | and Jon Famurewa The State News

Senior guard for MSU women's basketball, Tori Jankoska, was named to the Women's Basketball Coaches Association, or WBCA, All-Region team in an announcement on Thursday

Jankoska was one of 12 student-athletes to earn Region Four accolades. She is now qualified for WBCA All-American honors. 

According to a press release, the WBCA selection committee uses an equation to determine an equitable number of nominees from each region. The number of NCAA Division I institutions in each region is divided by the number of NCAA Division I institutions overall to determine a percentage for each region. This percentage is then multiplied by 52, the total number of desired finalists, to get the number of finalists for each region.

Six different Spartans have now received this recognition, but it is the eighth time someone on MSU will be honored. MSU has now had a student-athlete recognized in three straight seasons, former guard Aerial Powers received the award in 2014-15 and again the following season. 

Jankoska joins seven other student-athletes in the Big Ten on the All-Region Four list. 

This season she became the all-time leading scorer in MSU women's basketball history and is the first MSU women's basketball player to surpass 2,000 points. She also became the all-time leader in 3-pointers made with 320, free throws made leader with 478 and is second in assists with 489. 

This season she set the single-season record with 122 3-pointers made and was the only women's basketball player in the Big Ten this season to secure a triple-double with 24 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists in a win against Minnesota on Feb. 16.

Her triple-double was the third in the program's history and first since Kristin Haynie in 2005.

The 2017 WBCA NCAA Division I Coaches’ All-America team will be announced on April 1 during the WBCA Convention in Dallas.

Share and discuss “MSU women's basketball's Tori Jankoska named to WBCA All-Region team” on social media.