Monday, March 18, 2024

'Forever Young': Family, friends commemorate MSU student

Kinesiology sophomore Danny Morehouse, center, looks to the sky as he talks during Lambda Chi Alpha's candlelight vigil honoring the life of Max Muessig on March 23, 2017 at the Rock on Farm Lane. Political science and economics sophomore Max Muessig died over spring break when a tree fell on his car because of heavy winds.
Kinesiology sophomore Danny Morehouse, center, looks to the sky as he talks during Lambda Chi Alpha's candlelight vigil honoring the life of Max Muessig on March 23, 2017 at the Rock on Farm Lane. Political science and economics sophomore Max Muessig died over spring break when a tree fell on his car because of heavy winds. —
Photo by Chloe Grigsby | and Chloe Grigsby The State News

Startled with recognition  — cars slowed as Rod Stewart's "Forever Young" permeated onto Farm Lane. 

The poignant lyrics traced to sorrow but also to a flooded tap of admiration as members of the MSU community gathered at the Rock on Farm Lane Thursday night to honor the life of one MSU student, who would always "do unto others as you'd have done to you."

The vigil was held in memory of political science and economics sophomore Max Muessig, who died March 8 in a fatal accident. Muessig and girlfriend Maggie Potter of Rhode Island were killed when a tree fell on their car because of heavy winds.

The vigil was primarily put on by MSU’s chapter of Lambda Chi Alpha, of which Muessig was a member. In addition to "Forever Young," the vigil involved painting the Rock, lighting candles, listening to "Amazing Grace" and laying flowers down in a moment of silence.

Lambda Chi Alpha’s president and kinesiology sophomore Daniel Morehouse, led the vigil and spoke of Muessig throughout the event. Morehouse first met Muessig last semester when he joined the fraternity, he said.

“He knew that at the end of the day, he was going to go home, he was going to wake up the next day and he was going to know that his mother and his father loved him, that he had a loving girlfriend and that he a group of friends around him that were there with him and were willing to do anything for him, as evidenced by all of you who showed up today," Morehouse said.

Those who attended the vigil were invited to speak about Muessig and pay tribute. Among those was supply chain sophomore Gunnar Spruit, who was in Muessig’s pledge class. 

“He was just a very smart guy. He just had unconditional love for other people. If anybody ever needed something, he was there for you,” Spruit said. “One time, I was walking home and he saw me and it was pretty cold out … he insisted I take his jacket for the walk home because my walk was longer. That was just the type of guy that he was, just a shirt off the back kind of guy.”

Spruit said Muessig would want to relay a message of love and treating others the way you would want to be treated.

“It sounds kind of cliché, but he was just that kind of guy," he said. "Always trying to be nice to other people, regardless of who they were or where they came from.”

Midland resident Mark Muessig, Max Muessig’s father, was also at the vigil. He described Max as inquisitive, kind, intelligent and someone who always wanted to do the right thing.

“There were a lot of people who cared for him and that means the world to me and it gives me the strength knowing that, you know, he grew up to be a fine young man and someone that I can be proud of the rest of forever and ever,” Mark Muessig said.

For those who knew Max Muessig — to quote "Forever Young" — in their hearts he will always stay.

Share and discuss “'Forever Young': Family, friends commemorate MSU student ” on social media.