MSUPD to increase patrols, E.L. to provide free overnight parking for St. Patrick's Day

The statewide Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over campaign began March 16 and runs through March 29. MSU police will be participating in the campaign by increasing patrols in an effort to catch more drunk drivers, according to a press release.

"The crackdown period includes events that Spartans frequently participate in such as St. Patrick’s Day and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) men's and women’s basketball tournaments," the press release said.

The legal limit for individuals who are driving and are 21 and older is a blood alcohol content, BAC, of less than .08. For those under the age of 21 the legal limit is a BAC less than .02.

“All drunk driving accidents are preventable,” said Sgt. Dan Munford said in the press release. “To keep yourself and others safe, plan ahead and designate a sober driver or call a taxi service to get home safely.”

MSUPD advises that designated drivers should remain sober, and if a someone is seen driving drunk to call 911 and give a location and description of the vehicle.

The city of East Lansing will offer free overnight parking in select locations on March 17 to "encourage safe rides home on Saint Patrick's Day," according to a press release.

The free parking starts at 10 p.m. March 17 and ends at noon on March 18.

The locations are: Evergreen Ave Parking Lot, 275 Evergreen Ave., meters only; Dublin Square Lot, 311 Albert Ave.; East Lansing City Hall’s West Lot, 415 Abbot Road, public parking spaces only; Bailey Street Parking Garage, 126 Bailey St., public parking spaces only.

Share and discuss “MSUPD to increase patrols, E.L. to provide free overnight parking for St. Patrick's Day” on social media.