Anna Norris, MSU associate professor of French dies at 58

<p>Anna Norris</p>

Anna Norris

Anna Norris, associate professor of French in the College of Arts and Letters, died Saturday at the age of 58. Norris was teaching two French classes and an independent study this semester.

Norris came to the MSU in 1999 and taught at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. She led study abroad trips to Tours, France. From 2008 to 2010, she served as acting chair of MSU's Department of French, Classics and Italian, or what is now known as the Department of Romance and Classical Studies.

“We are saddened by the loss of Dr. Anna Norris, a dedicated professor who touched the lives of many students and colleagues,” Christopher P. Long, dean of the College of Arts and Letters, said in a statement sent out by the College of Arts and Letters. “It was a privilege to know her, and we will miss her very much. On behalf of the college, I wish to express our condolences to her family and friends."

Norris was also nominated for the Faculty of the Year Award by the National Society of Collegiate Scholars. She was the graduate adviser for the French program, served as chair of a doctoral student's dissertation committee and was named Chevalier dans L’Ordre des Palmes Académiques, or Knight in the Order of Academic Palms, by the French Ministry for Higher Education and Research.

“(Norris) was an associate professor of French and taught at MSU for 18 years,"  MSU spokesperson Jason Cody said in an email. "The thoughts and prayers of the MSU community are with Norris’ family and friends. For those in the campus community who may be personally affected by this tragedy, resources are available at the MSU Counseling Center.”

The Department of Romance and Classical Studies will hold a memorial for Norris at 5 p.m. Wednesday in B342 Wells Hall and Norris' funeral will be at 11 a.m. on Thursday at the Congregation Shaarey Zedek.

Share and discuss “Anna Norris, MSU associate professor of French dies at 58 ” on social media.