'It's On Us' week proved successful for ASMSU and other orgs involved

This is the first time MSU has changed its direction with the "It's On Us" national campaign by organizing a whole week of events to raise awareness on sexual harassment and sexual violence. 

“The goal of our week of action is really to engage individuals who may not of have attended programs and events before, may not of been aware of this issue and its impact of the community, or may not of known how they can individually get involved and contribute to efforts to prevent sexual violence," Title IX Coordinator Jessica Norris said. 

"It's On Us"  was a collaborative effort including many campus groups such as the Sexual Violence Advisory Committee, ASMSU, COGS, Sexual Assault and Relationship Violence Prevention Program and more like MSU Athletics and MSU police. The events ranged from a promotional therapy dog event at the library on Monday to a presentation by former NFL player Don McPherson on Thursday. The week also featured open forums and held the first student leadership institute at MSU. 

“All of these events are designed to reach different audiences and serve different purposes, so I think they’re all unique and add value," Norris said. "But for me, the open forum is always particularly enlightening because it gives you a lot of insight into what the communities thoughts and feelings are around this issue, and it really helps direct our work for the coming year so the feedback that we get from the campus community in that open forum fuels the development of action plans."

The Sexual Violence Advisory Committee's open forum on Wednesday aimed to gather input and recommendations on what to implement and improve. 

“We had an excellent conversation," chair of the Sexual Violence Advisory Committee Amy Bonomi said. "We had excellent group of students, faculty and staff who attended the event and they gave really great suggestions and feedback in areas where we could be thinking about augmenting communication strategies and prevention."

The Sexual Violence Advisory Committee also organized the student leadership event on Friday that brought together many student leaders from different groups such as the Interfraternity Council and the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee. The focus was to engage men in sexual violence prevention as well as to discuss ways to implement these tools in their organizations. Don McPherson also spoke at this about the role of masculinity as well as gender discrimination in culture. 

“We know that in order to have the best prevention and response for sexual violence, we really need to be engaging both women and men in the issue," Bonomi said. "Our keynote speaker, who was Don McPherson, really emphasized that sexual violence is an issue that men need to care deeply about."

The next step is to prepare a summary of the open forum feedback and the results from focus groups. First, the feedback goes to the Office of Institutional Equity, then to President Simon based on the recommendations provided by the community. 

“Every event that we have on campus pertaining to sexual violence prevention really is about changing the culture on MSU’s campus," Bonomi said. "So it's about culture change and the events that we had this week are part of that broader culture change movement that we’re hoping to implement on campus.” 

Norris said more "Its On Us" events are already being planned for next fall. 

“When we talk about this issue, sexual violence is not something that is new, and it's also not something that we can have a week long event and call it done," Norris said. "There is a lot of work to be done here and it's something that requires societal change that's going to continue to require ongoing assessment of our progress and taking additional steps to continue to change the culture and change the climate.” 

Share and discuss “'It's On Us' week proved successful for ASMSU and other orgs involved” on social media.