MSU men's and women's soccer teams announce 2017 recruiting class

The Spartans embrace each other during the NCAA tournament during the game against SIUE on Nov. 17, 2016 at DeMartin Stadium. The Spartans were defeated by the Cougars in a shoot out, 9-8.
The Spartans embrace each other during the NCAA tournament during the game against SIUE on Nov. 17, 2016 at DeMartin Stadium. The Spartans were defeated by the Cougars in a shoot out, 9-8. —
Photo by Carly Geraci | and Carly Geraci The State News

The MSU football team isn't the only team in East Lansing who has a recruiting class coming on Wednesday, as the men's and women's soccer teams have announced its recruiting class for 2017.

Men's head coach Damon Rensing announced the addition of six players to the 2017 recruiting class, along with a transfer.

The transfer, John Freitag, transferred to MSU after two seasons at DePaul University. Of the six newcomers, only two come from the state of Michigan. Incomers Alexander Shterenberg and Nick Woodruff are both from Massachusetts. Rensing went around the nation for his recruiting class as he pulled in an athlete from the state of Illinois and Virginia, as well.

Tom Saxton, head coach of the women's soccer team, announced nine new Spartans for his team.

Saxton has spent more than half his life with MSU soccer and was appointed the head coach of the women's team on June 1, 1991. Of the nine Spartans, eight of them call Michigan their home. Defender Athena Biondi, a Trafford, Penn. native, is the only recruit to hail from outside state borders.

The men's team went 13-5-2 and 4-3-1 in Big Ten play this past season, and made it as far as the NCAA Tournament but fell in a shootout to Southern Illinois University Edwardsville in the first round. The women's team had an overall record of 7-10-1 in 2016, 4-7-0 in conference play.

Share and discuss “MSU men's and women's soccer teams announce 2017 recruiting class” on social media.