Lambda Chi not removed by MSU despite investigation

<p>MSU's Gamma-Omicron Zeta chapter of Lambda Chi Alpha house at 131 Bogue St. on Feb. 3, 2017.</p>

MSU's Gamma-Omicron Zeta chapter of Lambda Chi Alpha house at 131 Bogue St. on Feb. 3, 2017.

The current limited operations and temporary suspension of MSU’s Gamma-Omicron Zeta chapter of Lambda Chi Alpha are a direct result of a violation in self-imposed probationary terms, chapter president Daniel Morehouse confirmed.

The Gamma-Omicron Zeta chapter of Lambda Chi Alpha is currently under investigation by its headquarters, Lambda Chi Alpha Inc.

In August of 2016, the chapter underwent a self-imposed membership review as a result of low scores in Lambda Chi Alpha operating standards, Morehouse said. 

“This membership review resulted in the suspension and expulsion of several members who were deemed to have failed several membership obligations,” he said. “The remaining members were tasked with reviewing and modifying how we operated as a chapter. Our organization agreed to give us self-imposed probationary terms.”

The current investigation, temporary suspension by the Interfraternity Council and limited operations all come as a result of violations of these self-imposed probationary terms from October 2016.

The chapter and chapter members have not been removed from the university and are working to return to full active status within the Interfraternity Council, Morehouse said.

MSU spokesperson Jason Cody has said the university has been in contact with Lambda Chi Alpha's national headquarters regarding the investigation of MSU's chapter.

“We are in contact with the national chapter regarding the actions they took and we are sharing information when appropriate,” Cody said. “We’re open to having more conversations with them.”

If the Gamma-Omicron chapter were to close, students living in the chapter house would be able to remain there as the property is not owned by Lambda Chi Alpha, Morehouse said.

On Jan. 28, the Gamma-Omicron Zeta chapter became aware of an allegation of sexual assault against a member of the chapter, Morehouse said. The chapter has placed the member on temporary disciplinary suspension until the conclusion of the Title IX investigation being conducted by the Office of Institutional Equity

“Upon hearing this news, we took immediate action in contacting our alumni control board, alumni advisers, as well as our international headquarters,” Morehouse said. “The allegation is against the individual and that individual alone. Lambda Chi Alpha is in no way the subject of the allegation and is in no way affected by the results of the case.”

Morehouse said the permanent status of the member will be based on the results of the investigation.

“Sexual assault is an issue recognized globally, and unfortunately, is an issue that is fairly common at this university,” Morehouse said. “We the gentlemen of Lambda Chi Alpha believe there is no place for sexual assault in this world and we work to instill values of honor, courtesy and respect in each of our members.”

Morehouse said the members of the chapter will be prepared for any scenario but hope it is found that no assault was committed. 

“Until the conclusion of this individual matter, our organization will have no further comment regarding this matter or the member involved as we are sure both parties would like to maintain this at a private level," Morehouse said.

Share and discuss “Lambda Chi not removed by MSU despite investigation” on social media.