Miles Bridges wins fifth Big Ten Freshman of the week award

Freshman forward Miles Bridges (22) defends Purdue forward Vincent Edwards (12) during the second half of the men's basketball game against Purdue on Feb. 18, 2017 at Mackey Arena in Lafayette, Ind. The Spartans were defeated by the boilermakers, 80-63.
Freshman forward Miles Bridges (22) defends Purdue forward Vincent Edwards (12) during the second half of the men's basketball game against Purdue on Feb. 18, 2017 at Mackey Arena in Lafayette, Ind. The Spartans were defeated by the boilermakers, 80-63. —

Freshman forward Miles Bridges has won his fifth Big Ten Freshman of the Week award. Bridges is MSU's leading scorer at 16.1 points per game, rebounder with 8.5 and ties for the team lead in blocks with 1.7 per game.

Bridges averaged 15.5 points and 10 rebounds during the week. He shot 45.3 percent from the field and 43.4 percent from 3-point land against Ohio State University and then-No. 16 Purdue. 

In a win against the Buckeyes on Feb. 14, Bridges scored 17 points and collected 11 rebounds, with two steals and two blocks to add on to his effort at Breslin Center. It was Bridges' sixth double-double of the season.

On Saturday, Bridges scored 14 points and collected nine rebounds with 12 of those points coming from 3-point land, which Bridges shot 66.7 percent from at Mackey Arena. Bridges' previous matchup against Purdue resulted in a career performance so far for him after he scored 33 points.

Bridges and the Spartans will face off against the Nebraska Cornhuskers next. The Spartans previously defeated the Cornhuskers on Feb. 2, 72-61 at Pinnacle Bank Arena in Lincoln, Neb. Bridges had 16 points in the win against the Cornhuskers and shot 70 percent from the field.

Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. and the game will broadcast on ESPNU.

Share and discuss “Miles Bridges wins fifth Big Ten Freshman of the week award” on social media.