Miles Bridges named to Karl Malone Award watch list

Freshman guard and forward Miles Bridges (22) goes for a dunk during the second half of the men's basketball game against Purdue on Jan. 24, 2017 at Breslin Center. The Spartans were defeated by the Boilermakers, 84-73.
Freshman guard and forward Miles Bridges (22) goes for a dunk during the second half of the men's basketball game against Purdue on Jan. 24, 2017 at Breslin Center. The Spartans were defeated by the Boilermakers, 84-73. —
Photo by Sundeep Dhanjal | and Sundeep Dhanjal The State News

Freshman forward Miles Bridges — who has been named to four Big Ten Freshman of the Week awards thus far this season — was named as one of 10 to the Karl Malone Award watch list.

The award is given the best men's collegiate power forward every year. Of the 10 players named to the watch list, Bridges and Purdue forward Caleb Swanigan are the only two players from the Big Ten on the list.

The Karl Malone award, which was introduced in 2015, is in its third year. In 2015, Montrezl Harrell of Louisville won the award, while in 2016 Georges Niang of Iowa State received the honor. Both were upperclassmen at the time.

Bridges and the MSU men's basketball team will be in action Thursday at 7 p.m. to take on the Nebraska Cornhuskers in Lincoln, Neb.

Share and discuss “Miles Bridges named to Karl Malone Award watch list” on social media.