Student Art Exhibit comes to life at MSUFCU

A work of art by Roslin Opolka titled "Rusty the Riveter" is pictured on Feb. 1, 2017 at Michigan State Federal Credit Union at 3777 West Road in East Lansing. This exhibit features art pieces from 19 area high schools that will be voted for online, and at the exhibit for four different awards.
A work of art by Roslin Opolka titled "Rusty the Riveter" is pictured on Feb. 1, 2017 at Michigan State Federal Credit Union at 3777 West Road in East Lansing. This exhibit features art pieces from 19 area high schools that will be voted for online, and at the exhibit for four different awards. —
Photo by Jon Famurewa | and Jon Famurewa The State News

The MSUFCU Student Art Exhibit is in its 10th year featuring paintings, sketches, 3-D pieces, photography and art. The exhibit, located in the bank’s headquarters at 3777 West Road in East Lansing, showcases work from 19 Lansing area high schools throughout the month of February for public viewing and voting.

There are four types of awards available to the students for their artwork, including the Social Media Award, The People’s Choice Award and School Spirit Award. The public can vote for their favorite pieces online through Feb. 20. In addition, there are Juried Awards and honorable mentions, which are determined by a panel of judges.

President and CEO of MSUFCU April Clobes said the art exhibit is produced by the Capital Area Women’s Lifestyle Magazine and its parent company, M3 Group, a local public relations and advertising group.

“They approached us to become involved with the program and we have been involved for just about 10 years,” Clobes said. “With that, we were able to really grow the program for them and be able to provide a venue that would be able to display the artwork for the students and have an exhibit space.”

Clobes said the exhibit has been exceptionally well received in prior years and the community, parents and teachers are supportive of the students and their work.

“The members really enjoy seeing the art in the lobby,” she said. “We have a tremendous talent in our young people in our community. This is an opportunity for them to showcase their abilities and share it with others, and that’s why we do it.”

Fowlerville senior high school student Rozlin Opolka has two pieces in this year’s exhibit, “Handy Man” and “Rusty the Riveter.”

She has been creating art for 12 years, with the past four being her most successful of developing technical skills, she said via email.

“My lovely art teacher Mrs. (Christine) Hesch was the main reason any of us Fowlerville artists were entered into the show, she pushes us to gain public attention through art galleries and really get our art out there,” Opolka said. “I entered these two pieces in the show because they are examples of the development of my unique style, something I have been working towards establishing for a few years.”

Hesch said she had Opolka as a sudent since the ninth grade. That was when she first realized her artwork was amazing and creative.

“She always makes it look different than everybody else’s (art),” Hesch said. “She lets her creativity juices flow and doesn’t copy anybody else, she just has that internal creativity.”

Charlotte Newstead, has one piece in this year’s exhibit. She said she also received push from Hesch to put her art out there.

“I have been creating artwork for as long as I can remember and it has always been a passion of mine,” Newstead said via email. “I like the detail that I put in this piece especially of the little circles that make up the pads of the dog’s paw. It took me a while to finish this piece and I really worked hard on it.”

School and public viewing is available until Feb. 20, according to the exhibit’s website. The awards ceremony will be held at the headquarters on Feb. 23.

Share and discuss “Student Art Exhibit comes to life at MSUFCU ” on social media.