Versatility from Winston opens more scoring chances for Spartans

Freshman guard Cassius Winston (5) drives the ball towards the rim during the men's basketball game against Minnesota on Jan. 11, 2017 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Golden Gophers, 65-47.
Freshman guard Cassius Winston (5) drives the ball towards the rim during the men's basketball game against Minnesota on Jan. 11, 2017 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Golden Gophers, 65-47. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

In a continuous effort to shake up a “stagnant” offense, freshman guard Cassius Winston could be finding a new role on the court.

Head coach Tom Izzo met with the media on Tuesday for the first time since MSU’s 72-67 loss to Ohio State University on Sunday and said with a lack of production from the two and three spots, Winston could be an option for the Spartans moving forward.

“I'm as confused on some of it as you are,” Izzo said in his weekly press conference. “I think we had a setback with guys that have been playing well that didn't play as well. I do think we're searching at those two and three spots for scorers. Some of that has to be their confidence, some of that has to be what they're doing, then a lot of it is what we're doing, too.”

Izzo said he’s been urging the older wing players like fifth-year senior Eron Harris and sophomore Matt McQuaid to take more shots. This season, Harris averages 12.1 points in 23.1 minutes per game and shoots 43.6 percent from the field while McQuaid has been held to 5.9 points in 22 minutes per game while converting on 33 percent of his shots. Senior guard Alvin Ellis III has also been a part of Izzo’s lineup, but in a more limited role, averaging 5.8 points a game in 15.5 minutes.

Izzo said Winston could offer a more sustainable option as a shooter, averaging 20.1 minutes a game and finding the net on 43.7 percent of his shot attempts.

“We're going to get more out of Cassius (Winston); it was one of those games where because of the big guards we had some problems,” Izzo said in reference to the loss to Ohio State. “Hopefully I can get Cassius to shoot the ball and you might see that a bit more, then yeah that could be. We have to get Cassius more involved in the scoring part of this.”

Winston said he’s welcome to the shift, but the potential move could come with its fair share of challenges.

“I like the sound of that,” Winston said when asked about taking on the role as shooting guard. “More shots, take more shots, but still I have to figure out where I fit my shots, the shots I can take, can’t take and things like that. But I’m going to look to be more aggressive out there, look to my shot a little bit more and help this team out.”

Winston has spent the bulk of his time this season splitting time at point guard with junior Lourawls “Tum Tum” Nairn Jr. through the first 19 games. Izzo, though, has been looking for the right mix between the two as Winston can provide better chances in the frontcourt with a team-high 108 assists on the year, but Nairn’s leadership has been an asset to the team defensively.

Putting both on the floor, however, could be the mix Izzo is looking for to revitalize the Spartan offense. With both players possessing playmaking abilities, it can open up more spread-out offensive opportunities.

“(Cassius and I) can hit the defense with a lot of different things,” Nairn said after the team’s practice Tuesday afternoon. “Me attacking, him attacking gives our team more shots.”

The new role for Winston could take time getting used to with the added intensity and pressure to find more shots and put up more consistent numbers, but the freshman has shown signs of high-scoring output before having scored in double-digit figures in three games this season, including a 21-point game against Northeastern.

“When you’re out there it’s just playing basketball,” Winston said. “The attitude is probably a little bit more aggressive, you’re more of a scoring offer and things like that and you’re moving without the ball a lot more. That helps a lot, findings gaps and areas.”

And as the team gears up to play Indiana (13-6, 3-3 Big Ten) at Assembly Hall on Saturday, Winston at the two spot can offer that assertion.

“He should definitely be aggressive,” Nairn said. “And he will be.”

Share and discuss “Versatility from Winston opens more scoring chances for Spartans” on social media.