Valley Court Park ice rink returns for second year

East Lansing firefighter Joe Pontack, left, East Lansing firefighter Dan Renner, center left, East Lansing firefighter Nate Floyd, center right, and community development analyst for the city of East Lansing?s planning, building and development Amy Schlusler, right, watch as the skating rink fills on Jan. 27, 2017 at Valley Court Park at 300 Valley Ct. in East Lansing. This is the second year that East Lansing has offered an outdoor iceskating rink.
East Lansing firefighter Joe Pontack, left, East Lansing firefighter Dan Renner, center left, East Lansing firefighter Nate Floyd, center right, and community development analyst for the city of East Lansing?s planning, building and development Amy Schlusler, right, watch as the skating rink fills on Jan. 27, 2017 at Valley Court Park at 300 Valley Ct. in East Lansing. This is the second year that East Lansing has offered an outdoor iceskating rink. —
Photo by Jon Famurewa | and Jon Famurewa The State News

UPDATE: Jan 31 at 3:48 p.m:

The opening of the Valley Court Park ice rink has been delayed because of insufficient ice conditions, the city of East Lansing announced via press release. The rink will be closed Feb. 1 to allow for extra time for the ice to freeze. Residents are asked to check downtownel.com each day for the status of the rink. 

Valley Court Park ice rink will make its return to the East Lansing community this month after debuting in February 2016. Last year's iteration served as more or less a test to see how the community responded, and after a few delays and setbacks, it ended up running for two weeks.

Community Development Analyst for the city of East Lansing’s Planning, Building and Development Amy Schlusler said the reception of the ice rink was good and she heard many positive comments and hopes that it would make a return this year.

“I really think it’s a wonderful community outreach activity,” Schlusler said.

The ice rink is entirely free to the public, but skaters will need to provide their own ice skates. The city will continue maintaining the rink during its run.

“I really think it provides a nice opportunity for people of all ages,” Schlusler said. “Whether you’re children, young adults, elderly and have been skating for years and years, it’s really just kind of a fun rink and a fun opportunity for the community as a whole.”

This year the city reached out to organizations that donated funds last year, and the vast majority of them were able to contribute again this year.

Funders include the East Lansing Downtown Management Board, East Lansing Downtown Development Authority, MSU Federal Credit Union, Student Book Store, Martin Luther Chapel, Charlie Kang's Chinese and Korean Cuisine, Beggar’s Banquet, The Riv, Rick’s American Cafe and Harrison Roadhouse, as well as new contributor Lavender Hill Farms.

If the weather permits, the rink is set to open Feb. 1 and will operate until Feb. 28. There will be extended skate hours this year, so skaters can enjoy the rink anytime from noon until 9 p.m.

Rules can be found and updates will be posted on the community webpage each day to indicate if the rink will be open or closed because of weather conditions.

The rink was assembled at 10:30 a.m. Jan. 27 and the East Lansing Fire Department began filling the rink shortly after 3 p.m.

Share and discuss “Valley Court Park ice rink returns for second year” on social media.