The Vagina Monologues performance aims to spotlight women's issues

Comparative cultures and politics junior Katie Phillipson exudes passion as she performs her monologue about pleasure during The Vagina Monologues final dress rehearsal on Jan. 26, 2017 at Wharton Center. The Vagina Monologues cast stand in solidarity with women from around the world in opposition to violence against women, tell real stories from women around the globe, and intend to empower and inform. The proceeds from this year's production will be going to the Michigan State University Sexual Assault Program.
Comparative cultures and politics junior Katie Phillipson exudes passion as she performs her monologue about pleasure during The Vagina Monologues final dress rehearsal on Jan. 26, 2017 at Wharton Center. The Vagina Monologues cast stand in solidarity with women from around the world in opposition to violence against women, tell real stories from women around the globe, and intend to empower and inform. The proceeds from this year's production will be going to the Michigan State University Sexual Assault Program. —
Photo by Chloe Grigsby | and Chloe Grigsby The State News

The word "vagina" can occasionally be enough to make some people cringe or turn away. Theatre senior Rebecca MacCreery and other women are looking to change that by participating in The Vagina Monologues.

The Vagina Monologues is a performance that focuses on experiences, struggles and successes of women all within two hours. The play will take place on at 8 p.m. Jan. 27 and at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. on Jan. 28 in the Pasant Theatre located in the Wharton Center. The theme for this year’s show is "Rise Against Racist Patriarchy."

MacCreery is co-director of the play. She first became involved her sophomore year after seeing an advertisement during Sparticipation.

“I walked past the booth that was like ‘Vagina Monologues’ and I was like, ‘It says the word vagina on pieces of paper over there,’” MacCreery said. “I went over and I was like, ‘This is interesting and yeah, I did theater in high school. Let’s do a thing that will be fun.’”

Tickets are $10 for students and $20 for adults. A $3 Wharton Center fee is also included. All proceeds made from the event will benefit the MSU Sexual Assault Program.

The Vagina Monologues was created by Eve Ensler. Ensler is a woman’s activist and writer who has inspired women like MacCreery to bring awareness to campuses.

“I think a lot a lot of topics that are covered in the Vagina Monologues are what is being challenged right now by the current political situation, and it’s making a lot of people mad and it’s making a lot of people upset,” MacCreery said. “This is the perfect opportunity to have this show so people can come and see it and either their perspective will change about something or they can go home and tell their mom, ‘I accept this part of myself now.’ I think that it is so important, especially for women who are growing up underneath this new president and being told things that they shouldn’t be told.”

MacCreery encouraged students to attend the performance.

“I still have people when I say the word ‘vagina,’ cringe and walk away or completely just ignore me or zone out,” MacCreery said. “I don’t feel like it should be a word that people shy away from anymore.”

Residential College in the Arts and Humanities senior Kristi Pollum is co-directing the performance with MacCreery. She said she has been doing theater since she was young.

“I like theater, specifically acting-wise, I like getting to tell a story that is not mine,” Pollum said. “The fact that at the end of the day if even only one person came to the show and you can donate that money to the organization. Knowing that I am on this stage and what I am doing is making a bigger impact than me standing on this stage.”

English senior Summer Olson used to walk through the Wharton Center on her way to class last semester. She now will be on the other side of the curtain and will be performing in The Vagina Monologues.

“One day last semester I was standing in the Pasant Theatre, so I just wanted to go inside and see what it was like and I looked out to the empty crowd and was just thinking, ‘How amazing would it be to perform on this stage?’” Olson said. “What went from a simple dream looking out at an empty stage is now turning out to be one of the most amazing experiences of my life.”

Olson said the show gives the audience a true insight on what goes on in the mind of girls from the age six to the age of 80.

“I am a writer, so this is just a different way of telling a story,” Olson said. “Being able to go on stage in front of a whole crowd and tell somebody else’s story in a way that is passionate is exciting.”

English senior Miranda Madro started with The Vagina Monologues her sophomore year. She said she hopes people come to the show with an open mind.

“My mom was terrified and she told me not to do it and I did it anyway and I convinced her to come,” Madro said. “Afterwards she was like, ‘I am glad you did this.’ She is a liberal woman and she is a feminist, but at the same time she is very protective of me and she was worried what people might think of me, that people might assume my sexuality and that might make people not like me.”

Madro said she hopes by stepping out of her comfort zone to support a cause, others will be inspired to do the same.

“I saw it for the first time my freshman year and it made me laugh and it made me cry and it made me get way more in touch with my thoughts on what feminism really is,” Madro said. “I think it is an extremely important play for anyone no matter what age, color, gender or sexuality you are. ... It is a powerful piece that says a lot about sexual assault and it says a lot about pride in who you are and your body.”

Share and discuss “The Vagina Monologues performance aims to spotlight women's issues” on social media.