Halftime: Spartans up 42-32 in Bridges' return

Senior guard Alvin Ellis III (3) goes for a layup during the first half of the men's basketball game against Rutgers on Jan. 4, 2017 at Breslin Center.
Senior guard Alvin Ellis III (3) goes for a layup during the first half of the men's basketball game against Rutgers on Jan. 4, 2017 at Breslin Center. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

MSU men's basketball (10-5 overall, 2-0) used a tag team of free-throws and team defense to earn a 42-32 lead over Rutgers (11-4 overall, 0-2). 

The Spartans started off slow. An opening layup by Rutgers' guard Corey Sanders was followed by a turnover by fifth-year senior guard Eron Harris. Sanders would double his luck and the Scarlet Knights would add a jump shot to start the contest off on a 6-0 run in just under 90 seconds.  

However, the Spartans remained poised, Harris knocking down a 3-point basket and freshman forward Nick Ward converted on a three point play. Freshman guard Joshua Langford would contribute a triple as well, negating the wide open 3-point basket converted by Sanders on the other end.

At the first media timeout, the Scarlet Knights held a slim 13-11 lead, shooting a perfect 5-5 from the field, Sanders with 7 points.

Out of the timeout, freshman forward Miles Bridges entered to a loud ovation, marking his first playing time since his ankle injury against then-No.5 Duke, seven games ago. 

On their first possession with Bridges, he cut backdoor and rose up high, throwing down an emphatic dunk, assisted by sophomore guard Matt McQuaid. Bridges would finish the half with 4 points and 4 rebounds. 

After the first media timeout, the Spartans took their first lead with a 3-point basket by senior guard Alvin Ellis III. At the 12 minute mark, the Spartans gained a five point lead, 20-15. 

Harris would take over the Spartan offense for the next few minutes. After being fouled on a 3-point shot and being fouled when driving to the basket, Harris would make all five of his free-throws. 

With 7:11 remaining in the first half, the Spartans pulled their lead to double-digits, by frustrating the Scarlet Knights with their team defense. Over a five minute stretch, the Spartans held the Scarlet Knights to just five total points. 

Spartan defenders were able to get the most of Rutgers forward Deshawn Freeman, their leading rebounder. Committing four turnovers and two offensive fouls, Freeman was held to two points and two rebounds in the first half.

The Spartans would control the latter seven minutes of the first half. Harris would add another 3-point basket and Bridges would convert his second field goal, a driving layup.

MSU men's basketball is in pursuit of their fourth straight win and third straight win in the Big Ten. 

Halftime leaders

Points — Harris with 13 points 

Rebounds — Bridges and sophomore forward Kenny Goins with 4 rebounds 

Assists — freshman guard Cassius Winston with 3 assists 

Stay with The State News as the game progresses for instant updates. Follow along with beat writers Casey Harrison and Connor Clark on Twitter or with The State News live blog where you can send them your thoughts, opinions and comments. 

Share and discuss “Halftime: Spartans up 42-32 in Bridges' return ” on social media.