Former MSU football player Cox agrees to plea deal in assault case

Senior safety Demetrious Cox (7) responds to a question from the media during Media Day on Aug. 8, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. Media Day allowed for the media to converse with the team's coaches and players.
Senior safety Demetrious Cox (7) responds to a question from the media during Media Day on Aug. 8, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. Media Day allowed for the media to converse with the team's coaches and players. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

Former MSU football player Demetrious Cox will pay $1,085 in fines and restitution to settle an assault case against him that occurred last November, according to the Lansing State Journal.

Cox was accused of being drunk when he allegedly assaulted a cab driver in East Lansing around 2:45 a.m. on Nov. 24, ultimately breaking his nose.

The former MSU football captain was arrested and eventually released on a bond of $200, but did not travel with the team for MSU football's last game of the season at Penn State.

According to the Lansing State Journal, Cox admitted he was responsible for the incident during a hearing Thursday in the 54B District Court.

Lansing State Journal reported that $525 of Cox’s fine will go to the cab driver as restitution, and Cox has until Jan. 26 to pay the fee.

The 22-year-old will not face jail time as a result of this deal.

Share and discuss “Former MSU football player Cox agrees to plea deal in assault case” on social media.