Mixed-cuisine restaurant tucked away in Lansing phone store

Capital City BBQ and Boost Mobile on Jan. 27, 2017 at Capital City BBQ at 1026 W Saginaw st. in Lansing. Capitol City BBQ offers a wide variety of foods including vietnamese cuisine. The restaurant also has a boost mobile inside of it.
Capital City BBQ and Boost Mobile on Jan. 27, 2017 at Capital City BBQ at 1026 W Saginaw st. in Lansing. Capitol City BBQ offers a wide variety of foods including vietnamese cuisine. The restaurant also has a boost mobile inside of it. —
Photo by Jon Famurewa | and Jon Famurewa The State News

Co-owner Linh Lee started the Boost Mobile prepaid cell phone store, located at 1026 W Saginaw St. in Lansing, in 2008. Having little to no knowledge about cell phones, starting the business was a gamble, she said.

“My dream, for my whole life, was to own a restaurant,” Lee said.

It was in 2011, after a fire destroyed part of the store, that Lee pursued her dream. Co-owner Regan Louchart was hired to be the contractor for the project.

“I hired him to rebuild my store,” Lee said. “I told him that I didn’t want the cell phones anymore. I want a restaurant.”

However, her customers depended on her to provide cell phones for them. Louchart accommodated everyone’s needs and divided the store into two.

Located across from Sparrow Hospital’s St. Lawrence campus, the customer base ranges from locals looking for cell phone service to doctors, hospital-goers and hungry customers.

The construction of what is now Capital City BBQ took four years to complete. Louchart, formerly the business’ contractor, now serves as co-owner of the dual establishment and Lee’s life partner.

The restaurant side serves homemade barbecue and Vietnamese food. Popular items include Bánh mì and smoked pork sandwiches. Lee utilized the four-year construction process to perfect her barbecue sauce recipe.

“It had to be an 11 out of 10,” Lee said. Four years and 50 versions later, Lee said she finally found her winner.

Lee, who comes from Vietnam, learned how to cook authentic Vietnamese food from her grandmother.

“Believe it or not, every time I’m cooking, I remember her,” Lee said. “She would make me come into the kitchen and learn how to cook.”

As for the peculiar establishment’s future, Lee said she wants to expand their rather tight quarters into a bigger building in the Lansing area.

“What would be really awesome would be getting a food truck to take on to (MSU’s) campus,” Louchart said. “Maybe for tailgating.”

With the customer support, they would like to move to a larger location because of the high demand. They are currently looking into several options near the current location.

“I want to improve this area,” Lee said. “I want to bring beauty to this area.”

Locals have come to know the eccentric setup that is Capital City BBQ. Brad Devereaux, a local resident, heard about the restaurant and decided to give it a try. Although he expected the unusual set up, the food was impressive, he said.

When the business moves, plans are to bring the cell phone store along and use the previous space for a new venture. Lee has come to love the large customer base she has developed through providing cell phone service and owning a restaurant, she said.

Share and discuss “Mixed-cuisine restaurant tucked away in Lansing phone store” on social media.