ASMSU details four new bills at latest meeting

International relations junior Lorenzo Santavicca, center, prepares for an ASMSU meeting on Aug. 30, 2016 at the Student Services Building at 556 E. Circle Drive. Santavicca is the current president of ASMSU.
International relations junior Lorenzo Santavicca, center, prepares for an ASMSU meeting on Aug. 30, 2016 at the Student Services Building at 556 E. Circle Drive. Santavicca is the current president of ASMSU. —
Photo by Derek VanHorn | and Derek VanHorn The State News

ASMSU passed four bills and sent one back to committee, on Thursday night during the general assembly meeting. These bills ranged from supporting the 23rd Annual Race for the Place to inducting new members. 

Bill 53-36 Support the MSU Safe Place by becoming a platinum sponsor of the 23rd Annual Race for the Place 5k

ASMSU will donate $5,000 to the 23rd Annual Race for the Place 5k, which supports MSU Safe Place. The bill passed with a vote of 24-0.

"This is something that we've done pretty consistently in years past and sexual assault and relationship violence is something that ASMSU is time and time again taking a stance on," Vice President for Finance and Operations Jason Barnett said. "It's a sponsorship, yeah we get our name out there, but it's also supporting a really great organization that helps out MSU students."

Bill 53-37 Host a "Night of Listening" event at Michigan State University

A "Night of Listening" will bring elected legislators to campus to allow students the opportunity to speak to the legislators and express their concerns and their desires for new legislation. ASMSU will also "solicit 'sponsorship' without financial commitment" from various registered student organizations to co-sponsor the event.

"I think that it's very, very useful for us to have a time where we can voice those thoughts because we really don't usually see that,"  Representative of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources Makenzie Bosworth said.

ASMSU wishes to keep this event nonpartisan and a safe space for all students to participate in the discussion. The bill passed by a voice majority.

Bill 53-39 Appoint college representatives to the general assembly

Five new members were appointed to the general assembly Thursday night. Matthew Gudenau is a new representative for the College of Business, Samuel Braxton is a new representative of the College of Engineering, Christopher Gustafson is a new representative for the College of Communication Arts and Sciences, Nicole Haist is a new representative for the College of Nursing and Beatriz Castro is a new representative for the College of Education.

"A couple of new faces (here), we went through an intense interview process," Vice President for Internal Administration Katherine Rifiotis said. "There were a lot of people interested and we feel like we gathered the most ready to go and prepared students to serve the student body. ... They've been really engaged ... and I can't wait to see what they have to offer for us and the rest of the student body."

The bill passed by a voice majority.

Bill 53-40 Hold the next U.S. Secretary of Education accountable for upholding current Title IX policy

ASMSU will send a letter to the next U.S. Secretary of Education, urging her to continue to enforce and uphold current Title IX. More information will be released in the next couple of days, stay with The State News for updates.

Bill 53-38 Support Pocket Points in helping raise student success at MSU

This bill was sent back to committee after a discussion with the general assembly. The goal of the bill was to support an app called Pocket Points that rewards students for staying off of their phones during class. Assembly members had concerns about supporting a private company, so the bill was sent back to committee for revision.

Share and discuss “ASMSU details four new bills at latest meeting” on social media.