U-M wide receiver Grant Perry charged with sexual assault in E.L.

<p>East Lansing Police Department on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News</p>

East Lansing Police Department on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News

Photo by Courtney Kendler | The State News

University of Michigan sophomore wide receiver Grant Perry was arraigned on sexual assault and resisting arrest charges in East Lansing Wednesday, according to a press release.

The charges stem from an incident that occurred on Oct.15 in front of Lou and Harry’s Grill. The East Lansing Police Department, or ELPD, has been investigating the incident since October. Perry allegedly sexually assaulted a woman waiting in line outside the bar, fleeing the scene when police arrived. Perry turned himself in Wednesday, according to the release.

Perry is charged with two counts of fourth degree criminal sexual conduct, one count of felony resisting and obstructing police and one count of minor in possession, or MIP.

Perry was suspended briefly earlier this year for reasons then unknown, but a statement issued Thursday by U-M Associate Athletic Director Dave Ablauf makes it clear the suspension was related to this incident.

"The University was made aware of the arrest of student-athlete Grant Perry earlier this fall. He was immediately suspended from all team activities at that time and missed two games. Based on the information at that time, Grant was allowed to resume team activities pending the outcome of the investigation. Upon being informed that charges would be filed, he was immediately and indefinitely suspended from all team activities until the legal process is completed."

Perry has a preliminary hearing scheduled for Jan. 5 and faces up to two years in prison, according to the Lansing State Journal.

Share and discuss “U-M wide receiver Grant Perry charged with sexual assault in E.L.” on social media.