Three bias incidents confirmed at MSU since election

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump gives a speech on Nov. 7, 2016 at DeVos Place Convention Center in Grand Rapids, Mich. The DeVos Place Convention Center was Trump's last stop for the 2016 election season.
Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump gives a speech on Nov. 7, 2016 at DeVos Place Convention Center in Grand Rapids, Mich. The DeVos Place Convention Center was Trump's last stop for the 2016 election season. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

Since Nov. 8, when Donald Trump was elected president of the United States, three bias incidents have occurred on campus, MSU police confirm.

“They were all politically-motivated (crimes),” Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor said.

The first bias incident occurred on Nov. 10 on Beal Street. It was a simple assault and battery along with damage to property, according to the MSUPD Clery Crime Log.

“This one had to do with an individual who was holding up a political sign and was assaulted as well,” McGlothian-Taylor said.

The victim is pursuing prosecution so the case is open, McGlothian-Taylor said.

The second bias incident, a simple assault and battery, occurred on Nov. 11 at Case Hall, according to the MSUPD Clery Crime Log.

“What happened is individuals were having a discussion, which became a little bit heated when the individual threw (water) in the (other) individual’s face,” McGlothian-Taylor said. “The person became emotional because of the election, so that’s why that’s political.”

The case was investigated but there was no arrest made because the victim did not wish to prosecute, McGlothian-Taylor said.

“This case is closed,” McGlothian-Taylor said. “No one was hurt or anything of that nature and the victim did not want to pursue prosecution.”

The third bias incident occurred on Nov. 21 and it was harassment: designated prohibitions, according to the MSUPD Clery Crime Log.

“Apparently someone had written offensive writing onto this person’s whiteboard that had political overtures,” McGlothian-Taylor said. “They were mentioning individuals involved in politics.”

The case is still open, McGlothian-Taylor said.

These crimes come amid a general atmosphere of fear at MSU and around the nation.

According to a Southern Poverty Law Center report, Michigan had one of the highest rates of "hate incidents" in the first 10 days after the 2016 presidential election.

On Nov. 29, The Islamic Society of Greater Lansing was one of many mosques across the country to receive an anonymous hate letter.

The letter claimed that Donald Trump is “going to cleanse America and make it shine again” by “doing to you muslims what Hitler did to the jews.”

Even before the letter was received, the Islamic Center of East Lansing put out a “campus advisory” to warn Muslim students of their rights, and to give safety tips.

The advisory suggests Muslim students should walk in groups at night, to take threatening messages seriously and not to respond to anti-Muslim harassment if they feel it might escalate the situation.

The advisory also provides information on mental health resources and intimidation by law enforcement.

If students feel that they have experienced any form of harassment, MSU police Capt. Doug Monette said they should report it.

“If people are in fear, or … they’re threatened, they should call the police,” Monette said.

Share and discuss “Three bias incidents confirmed at MSU since election” on social media.