Spartans unranked in AP poll for second straight week

Sophomore forward Kenny Goins (25) looks to pass to senior guard Eron Harris (14) during the second half of the game against Oral Roberts on Dec. 3, 2016 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Golden Eagles, 80-76.
Sophomore forward Kenny Goins (25) looks to pass to senior guard Eron Harris (14) during the second half of the game against Oral Roberts on Dec. 3, 2016 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Golden Eagles, 80-76. —
Photo by Carly Geraci | and Carly Geraci The State News

After another week of college basketball, the Associated Press updated its rankings and for the second straight week, the Spartans are unranked.

After losing to No. 5 Duke in Durham, N.C. on Tuesday and then only defeating Oral Roberts, a team with a 1-6 record at the time, by four points, the Spartans did not end up back in the top 25.

This week's poll also features a new No. 1 team. After being the No. 1 for two straight weeks, the Kentucky Wildcats fell to No. 6 and lost the top spot to the defending champions, Villanova. 

Villanova received 57 first place votes.

After pulling off the upset in Kentucky and remaining undefeated on the season, the UCLA Bruins moved up to the No. 2 spot and received two first place votes. Bill Self and the Kansas Jayhawks moved up one to become the No. 3 team in the nation.

Baylor continues its progression in the polls after defeating a top-10 opponent in Xavier. The Bears moved up five spots to No. 4 and received 6 first place votes. Rounding out the top five is Duke, who picked up wins over MSU and Maine.

Here is the full AP Top 25 poll for week five (First place votes in parentheses):

1. Villanova(57)

2. UCLA(2)

3. Kansas

4. Baylor(6)

5. Duke

6. Kentucky

7. North Carolina

8. Gonzaga

9. Indiana

10. Creighton

11. Louisville

12. Saint Mary's

13. Xavier

14. Virginia

15. West Virginia

16. Butler

17. Wisconsin

18. Purdue

19. South Carolina

20. Arizona

21. Florida

22. Cincinnati

23. Notre Dame

24. Oregon

25. Iowa State

Share and discuss “Spartans unranked in AP poll for second straight week ” on social media.