HALFTIME: Northeastern up on the Spartans through first half

Fresh off final exams, the MSU men's basketball team hosted Northeastern University (5-5 overall) for the first-ever meeting at the Breslin Center Sunday evening. The reunion between the Spartans and the Huskies came exactly 364 days since their first and only matchup, where then-No. 1 MSU defeated Northeastern 78-58. 

The tables, however, have turned with the Huskies leading the Spartans into halftime, 36-32.

MSU opened regulation scoring after fifth-year senior Eron Harris drew a foul and made his second shot from the free-throw line. Northeastern countered with field goals on back-to-back possessions and a free throw conversion to take an early 5-1 lead. The Spartans, however, would make it a one-point game with a 3-point field goal from Harris and a jump shot from redshirt-sophomore guard Kenny Goins going into the first media timeout.

Sophomore guard Matt McQuaid entered the game in place of freshman guard Joshua Langford prior to the first media break after missing MSU's last game on Dec. 10 with a minor head injury. 

Early fouls and turnovers for MSU helped the Huskies retain their lead midway through the half, with Northeastern taking a five-point advantage with 11:35 in the half. The Spartans were able to cut the lead to two points after McQuaid made both free throw attempts after a foul with just under 9:00 to play.

A dunk by freshman forward Nick Ward tied the game 18-18 with 8:15 in the half, but the Huskies responded with a layup from guard TJ Williams, the Huskies' leading scorer, on the next possession. Nairn Jr. would be called for traveling on the return after Williams' basket, giving NU the ball again with 7:55 in the half.

Northeastern pulled ahead again following two 3-point field goals on back-to-back possessions, taking a 26-22 lead. MSU cut the lead to two with a tip-in from Goins and tied the game at 26 with a layup from Winston. Winston had an opportunity to take a one-point lead after drawing a foul from driving the lane but failed to convert the free throw.

The Huskies outscored MSU 8-4 in the last three in a half minutes of the first half, with two of NU's three field goals made from forward Alex Murphy from 3-point range.

The Huskies were able to shoot 44.8 percent from the floor in the first half, including 7-of-14 from 3-point range collectively. Northeastern outrebounded MSU in the first half 18-13 and took the lead into halftime despite having 9 turnovers. Murphy, sophomore forward Jeremy Miller and junior guard Devon Begley finished the half tied for the team lead in scoring, with 8 points. 

The Spartans finished the half shooting 12-of-25 in the first half, 20.0 percent from behind the arc. Ward led the Spartans in scoring, with 10 points in the first half.

For further coverage, follow along with  The State News live blog, or follow along on Twitter with basketball beat writers  Casey Harrison and Connor Clark.

Share and discuss “HALFTIME: Northeastern up on the Spartans through first half” on social media.