HALFTIME: Bridges still out, Spartans leading Wildcats at end of first half

<p>Freshman forward Nick Ward receives&nbsp;a pass in a game against Northwestern University on Dec. 30, 2016 at the Jack Breslin Student Events Center.&nbsp;</p>

Freshman forward Nick Ward receives a pass in a game against Northwestern University on Dec. 30, 2016 at the Jack Breslin Student Events Center. 

The anticipated return of freshman forward Miles Bridges did not come against Northwestern, but the 6-foot-7 Bridges was in uniform and shooting during warmups for the first time since going down with an injury to his foot on Nov. 29. 

Without Bridges, however, the Spartans (9-5 overall, 1-0 Big Ten) are fresh off a comeback win against Minnesota to start Big Ten play and are leading the Northwestern University Wildcats (12-2 overall, 1-0 Big Ten) at the end of the first half by a score of 36-29.

The Spartans started the first six minutes of play on an 11-3 run with field goals from freshman forward Nick Ward, senior forward Matt Van Dyk, senior guard Alvin Ellis III and a shot downtown from freshman guard Cassius Winston.

The Wildcats cut the deficit down with a 3-point field goal from senior forward Nathan Taphorn with 13:21 left in the first half, the team's first field goal since redshirt-sophomore Vic Law's layup nearly four minutes prior. The two teams went back-and-forth for the following minute of play before Ellis III re-earned MSU's eight-point lead with a field goal made from 3-point range. Through the first nine minutes of play, Northwestern had converted on 2-of-8 shooting attempts from the floor, while MSU went 6-for-11.

The Spartan lead first reached double digits with a layup by Ward and quickly became a 15-point game after fastbreak scores from Ellis and a 3-point basket by Winston on consecutive possessions, forcing NU head coach Chris Collins to call timeout with just under nine and a half minutes in the half. Spartans led 21-6.

Northwestern responded with its first score in nearly five minutes with a 3-point basket from junior guard Scottie Lindsey, but a 3-pointer from junior point guard Lourawls "Tum Tum" Nairn Jr. and a layup from Winston extended MSU's lead to 19 points. Lindsey responded for the Wildcats in the form of another basket from downtown with a media timeout to follow and 6:17 left before halftime.

Coming out of the timeout, Law made another 3-point basket and a dunk from Taphorn cut MSU's lead to 11 points, 28-17. Taphorn would make another basket with just over 2:30 left in the half to cut MSU's lead to 10 points, 32-22.

A flurry of free throws by the Spartans gave MSU a 36-24 lead after the Wildcats put MSU in double-bonus with 11 fouls in the half. Lindsey, put NU back within nine points after making a 3-point basket, followed by a jumper from junior guard Bryant McIntosh to cut MSU's lead to seven at the halftime buzzer, 26-29.

By the end of the first half, the Spartans shot 54.2 percent from the field, including converting on 4-of-11 shots from 3-point range and 6-of-8 from the free throw line. Ellis III led MSU in scoring with 11 points. Law led the Wildcats with 10 points, while NU shot 44.0 percent from the field, 6-of-12 from beyond the arc.

Stay with The State News as the game progresses for instant updates. Follow along with beat writer Casey Harrison and newsroom personality Stephen Olschanski on Twitter or with The State News live blog where you can send them your thoughts, opinions and comments. 

Share and discuss “HALFTIME: Bridges still out, Spartans leading Wildcats at end of first half” on social media.