Scott Wriggelsworth wins Ingham County Sheriff's race

<p>East Lansing police Lt. Scott Wriggelsworth is campaigning to become Ingham County Sheriff. &nbsp;Photo courtesy of Scott Wriggelsworth</p>

East Lansing police Lt. Scott Wriggelsworth is campaigning to become Ingham County Sheriff.  Photo courtesy of Scott Wriggelsworth

Update: With 100 percent of the votes in at 10:27 a.m., Scott A. Wriggelsworth (D) has won with 57.54 percent of the vote over opponent Eric Trojanowicz (R), who had 42.24 percent of the vote.

As of 1:13 a.m., Democratic candidate Scott A. Wriggelsworth has 57.70 percent of the vote in the Ingham County Sheriff race. The State News predicts Wriggelsworth will win this election over opponent Republican Eric Trojanowicz.

Wriggelsworth, son of outgoing Sheriff Gene Wriggelsworth, has served the East Lansing Police Department for 22 years.

Wriggelsworth ran on a platform of instituting a "Behavioral Assessment Unit," which would assign officers to individuals in crises to aid in their treatment, and tackling distracted driving using plain clothes and car tactics, he told The State News.

"Well, I'm excited about it, it's been a 22 month journey for me since I announced and I'm excited for the future of the Sheriff's Office and I've got a lot to learn, but I think together, going forward, we're going to be able to solve pretty much any problems," Wriggelsworth said. 

Throughout Wriggelsworth's campaign, he discussed the benefits of coming in with an outsider's perspective. Now elected as the Ingham County Sheriff, Wriggelsworth can put this experience into action.

His opponent, Trojanowicz, ran on a platform of providing more police coverage for citizens by expanding the road patrol system and embracing community policing concepts, he said in a previous State News article.

Moving forward, Wriggelsworth said he hopes to learn more about the Ingham County Sheriff's Office's policies and procedures and dig into his new position, he said.

"I need to dig in and learn the procedures of the Sheriff's Office and promote those programs that work, get rid of those that don't and encourage everyone that works there to think big and come up with solutions to problems," he said. "Let's try some stuff. I mean, it's 2016, we have to police a lot different than we did 23 years ago when I started, and that all comes with solution-based policing and if there's an issue in our community, let's identify the issue and come up with a solution and try it. And if it doesn't work, then we'll try something else."

Share and discuss “Scott Wriggelsworth wins Ingham County Sheriff's race” on social media.