MSU student takes on advertising trip to China

<p>Photo courtesy of&nbsp;Eric Schwartz</p>

Photo courtesy of Eric Schwartz

Schwartz’s name is becoming a common one around campus. He is the editor-in-chief of MSU’s yearbook — The Red Cedar Log — he is involved with The One Club and he is a member of the Media Sandbox.

Schwartz’s most recent involvement with The One Club has taken him overseas to Shanghai, China.

“We’re competing in an international advertising competition through an organization called The One Club,” Schwartz said via email. “We work with students from the best advertising schools in China. We’re given two campaign briefs and have to come up with a solution by the end of a week.”

The One Club is an international organization that recognizes and promotes education and achievements in the advertising industry. The group hosts an annual festival called The One Show China, where professionals and students in the industry have the opportunity to network and converse about advertisements.

“The trip so far has been incredibly busy,” Schwartz said. “We have been competing for the past couple days now, clocking in early mornings and long nights. ... We actually have not been able to see much of the city or even walk around the heart of Shanghai because we have been competing.”

Schwartz said the competition is split into two MSU-only teams. The first-time split provides a new challenge for the two teams. Schwartz said he anticipates little sleep and designing into the night.

“The competition has been incredibly difficult and stressful, but incredibly rewarding so far,” Schwartz said. “The creative brief we’re working with has really stumped both MSU groups, which has been the most difficult part to wrap our minds around. Additionally, being in a foreign country has brought along some culture shock, but I think that adds to the excitement of this experience.”

Schwartz said the competition is highly intense, but he looks forward to experience he will gain from the trip.

“Having the opportunity to collaborate with so many different people across so many different disciplines has been so rewarding for me,” Schwartz said. “When I’m working with other people, it pushes me to step back and analyze my role in the creative process.”

Schwartz said he never expected that MSU would provide him with so many opportunities.ch

“Never did I think my freshman year at MSU that by the time I graduated, I would have traveled to Europe and China, road-tripped across the country to several national parks out west and explored some of the best advertising agencies in New York City — all in the name of my studies and extracurricular projects,” Schwartz said.

Advertising professor Ross Chowles has worked with Schwartz in the past.

“He was a great student,” Chowles said. “He was really fantastic in making an effort to bridge the cultural gap. A lot of kids can just back off but he leant in and made the whole experience pleasant.”

Chowles has been involved with The One Club for over 10 years but because of medical reasons, Chowles could not go this year.

“Each class has 60,70,90 students and 99% are all Chinese from various universities across China,” Chowles said. “It gets hyper competitive.”

Chowles said he enjoys the competitive nature that the competition holds.

“If a marathon is easy to run then why hold up your medal so proudly?,” Chowles said. “It is only when you achieve something through difficulty. I am a best believer that the best ideas come when adrenaline is pumping and you’re under pressure.” 

Share and discuss “MSU student takes on advertising trip to China” on social media.