MSU students jump back into the 70's to watch the cult classic 'Rocky Horror Picture Show'

"The Rocky Horror Picture Show," the classic musical comedy and horror film, was originally released nearly 41 years ago in 1975. The film is based on the musical stage production, "The Rocky Horror Show." 

MSU's University Activities Board, or UAB, put on a free screening to all MSU students Friday, Nov. 4 at Wells Hall. 

Students were encouraged to dress in their best "Rocky Horror" regalia and the first 600 students who arrived were admitted to the film accompanied by a shadow cast. Students were also encouraged to participate in activities, giveaways and a costume contest, according to the event posting on the UAB website

Many students came out and dressed up. Most arrived with good intentions of showing off their favorite characters while still being themselves.

"The Rocky Horror Picture Show" means a lot to Residential College in the Arts and Humanities sophomore Melissa Sefernick. She said she loves the film because of its themes and how it expresses different genres all in one. 

“It’s a mix of horror, comedy and sex appeal,” she said. “I like how it’s really creepy and has horror stuff, but it's also sexy and funny.” 

When it came to her costume, Sefernick sported the whole "Rocky Horror" theme. She acclaimed her clothing to that of drag clothing and said the film provided a cool outlet for her to dress how she wanted to.

“I really like Rocky Horror and I really like drag,” Sefernick said. "I didn’t dress up for Halloween, so I wanted to dress up for this.” 

Rob Hubbard, executive producer of the Michigan Rocky Horror Preservation Society, said he likes how the film puts emphasis on audience participation. 

“It’s one of the few movies that you can actually yell and scream and dance around in next to nothing and it's totally acceptable,” Hubbard said. “You’re not going to get kicked out of a theater for doing it.” 

About 400 students packed into Wells Hall, with the majority dressed up in "Rocky Horror" regalia and dated 1970s clothing. 

“People are dressed up tonight because of the audience participation portion of the film," Hubbard said. "People try to mimic it … but it's not really necessary for the audience to come dressed exactly like the characters." 

With the film being rooted in being yourself and dressing how you want, Hubbard said coming to the movie allows you do so and express yourself.

“Coming to the movie allows you to be open and do things that you normally couldn't get away with anywhere else,” he said. “It’s still a friendly atmosphere and safe environment when you do it.” 

Preveterinary and animal science freshman David Isaacs shares a connection with a particular character, Eddie, who lives in a mansion that the couple encounter that night. He said he knew who his favorite character was the very first time he watched the show. 

“Ever since I’ve seen 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show,' I always had a straight connection with Eddie,” he said. “He was one that I felt made the show and movie what it is.” 

Among the audience, there were several people who had never seen the film before and were extremely excited to experience their first time watching it with die-hard "Rocky Horror Picture Show" fans. UAB volunteer  and psychology senior Rachel Chan was one of these people. 

Chan said the reasoning behind showing "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" at this particular time of the year was because it is rooted in horror and the Halloween spirit.

“It’s a popular film every year around Halloween time,” she said. “There's always a ton of people who come out and see it and dress up and go all out.” 

UAB showed a different side of the movie this year by showing the British version, something they have never done before in previous years.

“There’s a lot of people excited about it, waiting for the movie to start and I think it should be a fun time for everyone,” Chan said. 

The film turned out to be a success, as many people piled in throughout the evening dressed in an array of costumes. 

The film, directed by Jim Sharman and written by Richard O’Brien, features a salute to science fiction movies, B-movies, rock and roll music and Marvel comics between the 1930s and early 1970s. 

Share and discuss “MSU students jump back into the 70's to watch the cult classic 'Rocky Horror Picture Show'” on social media.