MSU Roller Hockey club provides high competition with lively atmosphere

Members of the MSU Roller Hockey team prepare to face off during practice on Nov. 09, 2016 in Demonstration Hall.
Members of the MSU Roller Hockey team prepare to face off during practice on Nov. 09, 2016 in Demonstration Hall. —
Photo by Emilia McConnell | The State News

Ice hockey, one of the most popular sports not only in Michigan, but also throughout the world. There are 1,749,976 people registered with the International Ice Hockey Federation, or IIHF, according to the 2016 annual report.

Along with the people who play ice hockey and aren’t registered with IIHF, there are spinoffs of the game.

One of them is roller hockey.

Roller hockey, unlike ice hockey, is only four on four and doesn’t follow all of the rules that are in ice hockey.

“There’s no icing, no offsides, no hitting, so there’s a lot of creativity in that aspect,” history education junior Eric Purcell said. “It’s a lot more fast-paced and high scoring and favors the skaters.”

Purcell is also the president of the MSU Roller Hockey club, which currently hosts a 7-0 record in the National Collegiate Roller Hockey Association, or NCHRA, this season.

Purcell said he’s been playing roller hockey since he was 10 years old and still plays in tournaments throughout the summer, which are put on by the National Roller Hockey League, or NRHL.

Once his ice hockey career started to pick up, Purcell stopped playing roller hockey for five years, he said.

“My freshman year of college, I started to play roller hockey again both at MSU and for the NRHL over the summer,” Purcell said. “I got re-immersed into that roller hockey atmosphere and had a lot of fun with it.”

Like Purcell, communication junior Caleb Hoover said he started to play roller hockey when he was four years old, which was before he started to play ice hockey.

Some of Purcell and Hoover’s teammates, however, haven’t been playing for as long as they have.

Medical student Jacob Bolyard said he played ice hockey for the Division II club team until his sophomore year, then had to quit to focus on taking the Medical College Admission Test, or MCAT.

Bolyard’s brother received a scholarship on the roller hockey team at Bethel University, which encouraged Bolyard to try roller hockey, he said.

“I played every now and again growing up," Bolyard said. "Roller hockey was my second thing, like you do it in the offseason. ... When I had to give up ice hockey, I still wanted to play hockey, so roller hockey was a good fit.”

Bolyard said it’s a good replacement because it is still fun and competitive, but also gives him and opportunity to “hang out with the boys.”

Hoover said he was interested in the team because he grew up with most of the guys.

“A lot of the guys on the team this year (I’ve known) in the past, I’ve known since my childhood (and) we’re all from the same county,” Hoover said. “It was something that we all expected to do as we all went to state.”

Hoover said the atmosphere is how he was first drawn to both the game and the roller hockey club.

“There’s a lot more opportunity just to play it since you don’t have to pay for ice time,” Hoover said. “It’s just a lot more fun.”

Purcell said ice hockey is more serious than roller hockey.

“Roller hockey is more do what you want,” Purcell said.

The club currently hosts two teams: One team in Division I, which is considered the main team, and one Division III team that is considered a development team.

Purcell said the club usually has two Division III teams, but because of a lack of goalies this year, they could only field one.

“We usually use our second Division III team as a farm club. … People who may not have had that much experience in roller hockey or just want to get into it,” Purcell said. “Getting the word out to goalies is a big thing for us.”

Share and discuss “MSU Roller Hockey club provides high competition with lively atmosphere” on social media.