PREVIEW: Senior day at MSU hopes to spark Spartans against No. 2 Ohio State

Sophomore linebacker Andrew Dowell (5) runs the ball down the field after a play during the game against Rutgers on Nov. 11, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Scarlet Knights, 49-0.
Sophomore linebacker Andrew Dowell (5) runs the ball down the field after a play during the game against Rutgers on Nov. 11, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Scarlet Knights, 49-0. —
Photo by Carly Geraci | and Carly Geraci The State News

State News football beat writer Nathaniel Bott (Twitter: @Nathaniel_Bott) breaks down what to expect from MSU-Ohio State, gives an injury report and offers his prediction for the contest.

The Spartans play host on senior day to the No. 2 Ohio State Buckeyes, who since their lone blemish on the road to No. 8 Penn State have outscored their next three opponents 148-26, winning all three contests.

The Spartans, coming off a blowout victory over Rutgers, have beaten some pretty good Ohio State teams recently in the 2013 Big Ten Championship and on the road in 2015. Ohio State was ranked No. 2 in the country on both those occasions as well. 

MSU head coach Mark Dantonio is one of only four coaches in NCAA football who has beaten Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer more than once. Overall, Dantonio posts a 3-4 record against the Buckeyes in his tenure at MSU.

INJURY REPORT

MSU

PROBABLE: OL Thiyo Lukusa (illness)

QUESTIONABLE: RB Gerald Holmes (leg), DL Malik McDowell (ankle), S Jalen Watts-Jackson, DE Auston Robertson, FB Prescott Line, CB Tyson Smith (all undisclosed)

OUT: LB Jon Reschke (ankle), OG Tyler Higby (ankle), CB Vayante Copeland (foot), QB Brian Lewerke (leg)

OHIO STATE

PROBABLE: CB Denzel Ward (undisclosed)

OUT: OL Isaiah Prince (knee), OL Demetrius Knox (ankle), DL Darius Slade (achilles), QB Torrence Gibson (suspension), WR K.J. Hill (ankle), DL Tracy Sprinkle (leg), DB Cam Burrows (foot), OL Malcom Pridgeon, LB Justin Hilliard (both undisclosed)

WHAT TO WATCH FOR

1. A stingy secondary

The Buckeyes' passing defense has been making plays for head coach Urban Meyer all season long, leading the nation in passing yards per attempt and interception return yards. They have contributed to the Buckeyes' defense who leads the Big Ten in scoring defense (8.8 points per game, only five touchdowns allowed) and total defense (239.8 yards per game).

“They have a new football team, but they’re playing very well together again,” linebacker and special teams coach Mark Snyder said. “Coach Meyer does a great job, he and his staff. They’re playing with a lot of chemistry right now, a lot of confidence. They’re a good football team.”

The secondary starters have remained the same since week one for Ohio State, and have intercepted ten opposing passes, having five of those returned for touchdowns.

2. Seniors and (potential) spoilers

MSU, sitting at 3-7, has the potential to play “spoiler” against both Ohio State and Penn State in the coming weeks, as both teams have their eyes set on playing for the Big Ten Championship and potentially the College Football Playoff. Although the opportunity for MSU is there to shake things up in the Big Ten East, it’s not the reason they are taking the field.

"We’re focusing on us,” Chris Frey, junior linebacker and team leader in tackles, said. “We’re not playing for anybody else, we don’t care who is where, who is doing what, we’re focusing on what we can do and we don’t really worry about anybody else.”

Anything can happen in the Big Ten, and the Buckeyes know that better than anyone. In 1998, an unranked, 28 point underdog in MSU entered Ohio Stadium to play the No. 1 ranked Buckeyes and left with an upset win.

And for the seniors, they have a chance to leave a mark on an otherwise disappointing season in their last game at Spartan Stadium. Dantonio couldn’t agree more with that sentiment.

“When you get to this year, high expectations, a lot of things enter into where we're at,” Dantonio said. “Obviously didn't end the way they wanted it to end, but their (seniors) attitude and their passion for the game and their commitment, really has allowed us to move forward every single game.”

3. Weather playing a part again?

The weather could be a major factor in East Lansing on Saturday, with the temperature not expected to creep much over 40 degrees. In addition, there is a 50 percent chance of precipitation with a chance of a rain and snow mix, as well as winds up to 26 miles per hour.

Last season, with former quarterback Connor Cook out with injury, fifth-year senior Tyler O’Connor had to come in, along with junior Damion Terry, and wound up winning that game. Weather was poor in that contest as well with lots of rain and cold, ending with senior kicker Michael Geiger’s infamous game-winner and windmill celebration.

MSU might need some luck in order to win, but sloppy conditions always offer the opportunity for the unexpected.

4. Ohio State lineup consistency

The injury report for the Buckeyes looks pretty extensive, but most players listed on that list are second-string players or play on the special teams unit. Ohio State’s defense has strut out the same, starting eleven in every game since week two, and quarterback J.T. Barrett has started every game.

The big guys in front of him have held that same consistency and health, having the same starting five on the offensive line in every game this season. It has contributed to Barrett being sacked only three times all season.

The Spartans, meanwhile, have not had such luck with injuries. Numerous key contributors from last season are currently out or were out for extended periods of time. Even young guys like Lewerke and Higby, who showed promise looking to gain more experience, fell victim to the injury bug.

That consistency has developed an unbreakable chemistry playing with the same unit week in and week out and will be a big obstacle the Spartans have to overcome on Saturday.

PREDICTION

Things might line up for the Spartans, given the weather situation and the fire that should be under the seniors playing their final home game at Spartan Stadium. Ohio State, on the other hand, has seen their potential championship hopes be crushed by MSU in 2013 and 2015. The home team hasn’t won in this series since 2008, and the Buckeyes need to avoid a letdown in this trap game before facing No. 3 Michigan.

OSU 35, MSU 17

Share and discuss “PREVIEW: Senior day at MSU hopes to spark Spartans against No. 2 Ohio State ” on social media.