PREVIEW: MSU (2-6, 0-5) heads to Illinois (2-6, 1-4) in search for victory

Senior wide receiver Monty Madaris (88) high fives a teammate after scoring a touchdown during the game against Michigan on Oct. 29, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans were defeated by the Wolverines, 32-23.
Senior wide receiver Monty Madaris (88) high fives a teammate after scoring a touchdown during the game against Michigan on Oct. 29, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans were defeated by the Wolverines, 32-23. —
Photo by Carly Geraci | and Carly Geraci The State News

State News football beat writer Nathaniel Bott breaks down MSU’s game plan and what to expect from Illinois this Saturday, as well as lists injury updates and gives his prediction for the contest.

INJURY REPORT

MSU

OUT: QB Brian Lewerke (leg), LB Jon Reschke (ankle)

QUESTIONABLE: S Grayson Miller (Undisclosed), CB Vayante Copeland (Undisclosed), DB Demetrious Cox (Leg), DE Evan Jones (Undisclosed)

PROBABLE: LB Byron Bullough (Shoulder), QB Damion Terry (Undisclosed)

ILLINOIS

OUT: QB Chayce Crouch (Shoulder), DB Caleb Day (ACL), RB Dre Brown (ACL), WR Mike Dudek (ACL), WR Dominic Thieman (Leg)

QUESTIONABLE: QB Wes Lunt (Back), WR Malik Turner (Concussion), RB Ke’Shawn Vaughn (Leg), DB Cameron Watkins (Undisclosed), RB Austin Roberts (Knee)

PROBABLE: WR Desmond Cain (Knee)

WHAT TO EXPECT

MSU OFFENSE

With Lewerke out for the season with a broken tibia, fifth-year senior Tyler O’Connor and Terry will be battling for the starting position this week. O’Connor has the better statistical line this season, but MSU might try to look more towards the future, as junior Terry will enter next season as a potential starter.

Meanwhile, the Spartans have a plethora of young receivers who are getting more and more reps as the season goes on. Those receivers are still adjusting, but the quarterback shuffling doesn’t seem to be having an effect on them.

“We don’t worry about that type of thing,” wide receivers coach Terrence Samuel said. “All you try to do is make sure you’re there. If you run a good route, you’re going to be open. Now after that, it’s someone else’s issue. These guys have to make sure they’re doing the right things with the right technique and get themselves in the right position to make plays.”

The running game picked up much-needed  momentum last week as sophomore LJ Scott ran for 139 yards and a touchdown against University of Michigan and the offensive line had their most impressive outing of the year, opening up holes and holding blocks, working in cohesion with each other.

The Illini give up 194 yards per game on the ground, which ranks 87th nationally. The Spartans will most likely attempt to impose their will on the ground again.

MSU DEFENSE

The Spartan defense, led by junior linebacker Chris Frey and junior safety Montae Nicholson, has been middle of the pack in terms of total defense, rush defense and pass defense nationally.

The team, however, has struggled mightily on third-down defense, where its ranked 110th nationally, and red zone defense, where its ranked 121st nationally. Dantonio said he just wants his defense to get back to the basics.

“What I would like to see (from the defense) is good fundamentals,” Dantonio said. “We are coaching fundamentally, as we always have. We've got to be able to take that to the field in a very chaotic situation, whether it's a no-huddle offense, whether it's a third-and-two situation or a goal line situation or whatever it is. But you got to be able to take that and apply that at game time. That's easier said than done.”

The Illini are towards the bottom of the conference in major offensive categories like total offense,13th of 14, and third-down conversions, 13th. The Spartan defense will look to take advantage of that and potentially force some turnovers, something they haven’t done a very good job of so far this season.

“You’re always trying to get turnovers,” co-defensive coordinator Harlon Barnett said. “Football goals don’t really change from week to week. Run the football, stop the run, affect the quarterback, it’s all the same stuff. Turnovers and stuff like that. They’re going to try to secure the ball and we’re going to try to take it away."

ILLINOIS OFFENSE

The Illini, under first-year head coach Lovie Smith, have experienced a bumpy road in the Big Ten, where they sit at 1-4 at the bottom of the West division. They are down to their third-string quarterback, Jeff George Jr., though Lunt, the starter at the beginning of the year, is listed as questionable.

George is 20-for-49 with 251 yards, two touchdowns and an interception in the last two games, starting in both contests. The Illini have dealt with a number of injuries this season, similar to the Spartans.

Barnett expects to see a lot of fast-paced play from Illinois, regardless of who is under center.

“Wes Lunt is a really good quarterback, he throws it around extremely well,” Barnett said. “Don’t know if they’re going to have their top receiver in (Malik) Turner back, but he's a good player and he has some good pieces around him. Running backs are good players and they run the ball fairly well. It’s a good team. ... You're probably going to see Jeff George, Jr., who is part of a family legacy there and has done a good job there the last couple of weeks, and a redshirt-freshman that is trying to move the offense forward, We expect to see him if we don't see Lunt.”

ILLINOIS DEFENSE

The Fighting Illini are led defensively by transfer linebacker Hardy Nickerson Jr., who has a team-high 75 tackles on the season, more than 20 more than the next closest player, as well as two interceptions and two sacks. In fact, Nickerson’s father, also named Hardy, is the Illini’s defensive coordinator.

Despite Nickerson and an Illinois defense that rushes well, ranked No. 5 in the Big Ten in sacks, Dantonio said his offense has to remain upbeat and effective.

“We've got to continue to be competitive, very competitive in everything that we try and do,” Dantonio said. “Continue to try and work through this situation as we go forward, we go to Illinois this weekend for a 12 Noon game and we'll be ready to play.”

The Illini have given up 40 points or more in its last two contests, losses to U-M and Minnesota. The Spartan offense have a favorable matchup in those terms as they look for their first conference win.

PREDICTION

MSU will face arguably their easiest opponent since a week one win against Furman, and whether or not Lunt plays for Illinois could make the final score closer than expected. MSU is only favored by seven, but have suitable matchups on both sides of the ball. The Spartans gained some confidence despite losing to U-M, and should come out hungry for their first win in more than a month. MSU 28, ILLINOIS 17

MVP: LJ Scott

Hard to argue that Scott, who had a breakout game last week against a much more stout U-M defense, won't keep that rolling this week. Expect another 100-yard performance with at least one score on Saturday. 

Share and discuss “PREVIEW: MSU (2-6, 0-5) heads to Illinois (2-6, 1-4) in search for victory” on social media.