Morgan Green dismissed from MSU women's basketball team

Senior guard Tori Jankoska (1) goes for a layup but is disrupted by junior guard Morgan Green (13) during Michigan State Madness on Oct. 14, 2016 at Breslin Center.
Senior guard Tori Jankoska (1) goes for a layup but is disrupted by junior guard Morgan Green (13) during Michigan State Madness on Oct. 14, 2016 at Breslin Center. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

The MSU women’s basketball team is only days away from their first exhibition game against Northwood University. Late Friday evening, the team announced in a press release junior guard Morgan Green has been dismissed from the team.

“Morgan Green could not live up to the expectations necessary to be a part of the Spartan basketball program, despite multiple opportunities,” MSU women's basketball head coach Suzy Merchant said in the release. “Being a Spartan is a privilege, and at Michigan State we strive to provide every opportunity for our student-athletes to be successful. With that privilege, is a great responsibility to conduct oneself in an appropriate manner. We wish her the best.”

Green transferred to MSU from San Jose, Calif. and played in 32 games for the Spartans while starting 17. Last season, Green played a career-high of 36 minutes against Georgia. Green had all her career bests last season with MSU with 12 points, 10 rebounds, nine assists and four steals.

"Although this is disappointing, we are excited for the upcoming season," Merchant said in the release. "I am looking forward to getting back to basketball on Sunday. We have a group of individuals dedicated to a common goal, and are committed to taking Spartan basketball to the next level."

MSU and the Spartan women’s basketball program have no further comments about Green’s departure from the team.

Share and discuss “Morgan Green dismissed from MSU women's basketball team” on social media.