Michigan native singer-songwriter returns home to East Lansing

<p>Michaela Anne, country&nbsp;singer-songwriter. Photo courtesy of Michaela Anne.</p>

Michaela Anne, country singer-songwriter. Photo courtesy of Michaela Anne.

The 31st Annual Women in the Arts Festival is taking place this weekend in East Lansing. The Women in the Arts Festival is a celebration of women artists and the continuation support of women artists in their creative pursuits, according to the event's website.

Friday night’s program features Detroit author Amy Haimerl, who is the opener for headliner Dar Williams. Saturday’s program starts off with the documentary film "She’s Beautiful When She’s Angry" followed by performances from Lansing music group Sometimes Y, Sistrum, Pink Sunrise Project and musician Michaela Anne.

For Michaela Anne, East Lansing has always been home for her. Although she now lives in Nashville, Tenn. to pursue her dreams while being on the path of a country singer-songwriter, East Lansing and Michigan will always be home, she said.

“My family is actually all Michigan native, both of my parents grew up in East Lansing, Mich.,” she said. “But, my dad was in the military, so I grew up moving around, but Michigan was always kind of home in a lot ways since we didn’t have one place that we lived in for long.”

Growing up, Anne said she always loved music and always enjoyed playing music in any capacity.

“Whether it was musical theater, jazz band, country music or pop music — everything,” she said. “I was just in New York for many years after that and started my career performing and putting out albums.”

Before relocating to Nashville, Tenn. Anne spent several years in Brooklyn, New York, living and performing. While in New York, she went to school and obtained a combined BA-BFA degree.

“I went to The New School for jazz and contemporary music, as well as Eugene Lang College, they're both part of The New School,” she said.

Anne received her BFA in jazz vocal performance from The School of Jazz at The New School, and her BA in sociology and history from Eugene Lang College of Liberal Arts.

Returning home to East Lansing and having the opportunity to perform in front of her family Saturday is something quite deep to her, she said.

“A friend of a friend invited me to come perform, and I was really excited because, one, just because of the festival, I’ve never been," she said. “The fact that it is a festival that we are celebrating women and ‘Women in The Arts’ is something, it's an occasion and cause to celebration that feels very close to my heart.”

Although Anne did not attend MSU, she and her family share a deep long history with the school, including her grandfather who was once a professor at MSU.

“Any reason to come back to East Lansing is wonderful for me, because I get to perform as well as see my family, which doesn’t happen as often as I’d like,” Anne said. “I have a deep and long love for East Lansing.”

Her latest album, "Bright Lights and the Fame," has seen interest from The New York Times, Noisey, Rolling Stone and Stereogum.

“I hope that I’m doing what I’m doing now, but on an even bigger level of reaching more people and playing bigger shows,” she said. “And hopefully feeling artistically fulfilled and inspired by making new music and working with other artists.”

For the near future, Anne said she plans to continue to grow, work on making records and expand as an artist.

Anne will be performing at 4 p.m. Nov. 12. Those interested in seeing her perform this weekend or interested in participating in any of the other festival events can find more information on their website.

The festival will be held at Edgewood United Church, located at 469 N Hagadorn Road in East Lansing.

Share and discuss “Michigan native singer-songwriter returns home to East Lansing” on social media.