HALFTIME: Spartans reclaim lead against St. John's late in first half

Freshman forward Miles Bridges (22) defends an inbound pass during a game against Florida Gulf Coast on Nov. 20, 2016 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Eagles, 78-77.
Freshman forward Miles Bridges (22) defends an inbound pass during a game against Florida Gulf Coast on Nov. 20, 2016 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Eagles, 78-77. —
Photo by Derek VanHorn | and Derek VanHorn The State News

After already traveling out to Honolulu, Hawaii and New York, New York, the No. 24 MSU men's basketball (2-2 overall) team opened the holiday break in the Bahamas to take part in the 'Battle 4 Atlantis' tournament. In the opening round of the tournament, the Spartans squared off against St. John's (2-1 overall) and took a 32-29 lead into halftime.

It as MSU who reached the scoreboard first, freshman forward Miles Bridges sunk a 3-point field goal and extended MSU's lead to 5-0 after getting credit for a tip-in. For St. John's, junior guard Bashir Ahmed would score the first six points by hitting consecutive 3-pointers. 

With 14 minutes to play in the first half, the Red Storm would add two more to take an 11-0 run beginning with MSU freshman forward Nick Ward fouling redshirt-sophomore Tariq Owens who converted both free throw attempts. MSU's scoring drought lasted nearly three minutes and came to an end with a 3-pointer by fifth-year senior Eron Harris. The Spartans would cut the deficit down to five points with a pair of made free throws from by senior guard Alvin Ellis III with eight minutes to play.

MSU would get back into the game by drawing the Red Storm into foul trouble. By the end of the first half, MSU was in double-bonus with St. John's committing 13 fouls. The Spartans capitalized on the foul trouble by going 10-of-19 from the line before regaining the lead with a Bridges jumper with 3:33 left to play. 

After regaining the lead, MSU converted four of the next five of their shots from the field for [an 8-0 run, spanning over three minutes. Going into the half, St. John's had only converted two of their last 13 field goals and finished the half with a five-minute scoring drought.

Going into the half, Ahmed led St. John's in scoring with eight points, having converted 3-of-8 field goal attempts. For the Spartans, it was Bridges who led the way with 14 points and already had a double-double going into halftime with 12 rebounds, Harris behind him with nine points. 

As a team, the Spartans finished the half 10-of-25 from the field and 2-of-11 from 3-point range. In the backcourt, MSU was able to force four turnovers. St. John's finished the half shooting 25.7 percent from the field.

Make sure to follow along with The State News basketball writers Casey Harrison and Connor Clark on Twitter, along with @thesnews_sports, or follow along with  The State News live blog for instant updates on the game.

Share and discuss “HALFTIME: Spartans reclaim lead against St. John's late in first half” on social media.