East Lansing recognized with bike-friendly award

Cyclists and pedestrians head to class Sept. 10, 2015 on the bridge on Farm Lane. Bike traffic is a common issue for students on campus. Jack Stephan/ The State News
Cyclists and pedestrians head to class Sept. 10, 2015 on the bridge on Farm Lane. Bike traffic is a common issue for students on campus. Jack Stephan/ The State News —
Photo by State News File Photo | and State News file photo and State News file photo The State News

The city of East Lansing was recognized as a Bicycle Friendly Community, or BFC, by the League of American Bicyclists.

East Lansing, one of 26 new communities receiving recognition, achieved a bronze ranking.

“The Bronze BFC award recognizes East Lansing’s commitment to improving conditions for bicycling through investment in bicycling promotion, education programs, infrastructure and pro-bicycling policies,” a press release from the city said.

In addition to the award, the League of American Bicyclists also gave communities a report card to help them improve. Some of East Lansing’s recommendations were: develop a network of bike greenways in neighborhoods, address barriers of bicycling between MSU and downtown East Lansing and increase effort to improve conditions for those who bike or walk.

Tim Potter, director of MSU Bikes and sustainable transportation manager, said the award is great for the city.

“For the university, we’re happy to see our neighboring community get recognized,” Potter said. “A lot of them are students and faculty that come to MSU. The connection of bike lanes makes it safer and easier to come to campus.”

Potter said there are plenty of ways East Lansing can improve, including education on laws regarding bicyclists and improved bike lanes around town.

Currently, MSU has a silver award for a bike-friendly campus, but Potter said he and his team have a campaign called “MSU Pedal for Platinum” to reach a platinum ranking. Most platinum awarded-campuses had bike-friendly cities nearby.

“Neighboring communities were all very high ranking cities and communities, so starting about a year ago we started helping our local communities towards being bike-friendly communities,” Potter said. “That’s why it’s especially exciting for us to hear that East Lansing was recognized.”

Share and discuss “East Lansing recognized with bike-friendly award” on social media.