Letter: MSU College Dems. talk future of country and Thursday's rally

Statement from the MSU College Democrats on the Rally against Hate, Bigotry, Racism and Sexism at MSU

As we take today to allow the results of the election to continue to sink in, we recognize what a pivotal moment in history and time that we are now entering. Regardless of political ideology, the MSU College Democrats have come to the realization, along with so many others, that we are now entering a dark time both here in our Spartan community, and in the broader nation we call home.

The American electorate showed the world that racist, sexist, misogynistic, fascist, xenophobic and nationalistic ideals are alive and well. The fears that have festered in both public and private over the thought of the stark differences both candidates offered have brought many to their knees. For so many, hope has been lost. For so many parents, the thought of waking up and having to explain to their daughters and sons that we have elected a man who peddles in bigotry and acts on impulse will now be there president, is both sobering and distressing.

Party politics aside, the future of our nation is uncertain for Latinos, Blacks, Asians, Native Americans, the LGBTQ+ Community, Muslim Immigrants and immigrants from across the world. For so many of us, the fear of discrimination is ripe and the wounds have now been reopened. We look to history to guide us, and ask that those who fought before us are here and stand with us as we march into an uncertain time. This rally is not for one single person or group, but instead for all those whose fears are now our concern. While our name invokes an ideological stake, this is no longer the time to worry about what one party believes.

Today, we are Americans. Today is about humanity, love, joy, happiness, compassion and strength in the face of doubt. We want people to come to this rally in the hopes of beginning the process of healing our divide, coming together as one community to demand answers from the political leaders who are listening now more than ever. Today and every day after, we must protect one another, love one another and support one another. This is how we make it through. This is how we will succeed.

The hopes of a brighter future were put on hold. This has given us all great pause and in this time of thought and reflection, we must recognize that the way in which we hold this new government accountable is through action. We will rise, we will act and we will organize. Door by door, person by person, election by election. We march toward that brighter future with the battle scars and hope necessary to fight for a better day.

And that is what we will do. 

Share and discuss “Letter: MSU College Dems. talk future of country and Thursday's rally” on social media.