ELPD respond to three gun-related incidents over weekend

<p>Sgt. Andrew Bouck of the East Lansing Police Department patrols during his shift on Oct. 24, 2015.</p>

Sgt. Andrew Bouck of the East Lansing Police Department patrols during his shift on Oct. 24, 2015.

Photo by De'jah Darkins | The State News

The East Lansing Police Department, or ELPD, responded to three gun-related incidents last weekend, according to a press release from the department.

An MSU student from Troy, Mich., not yet named by the department, is the suspect in a disorderly conduct incident investigated at approximately 3 a.m. Saturday. Responding to a report of a man walking with a "long gun," officers found the man carrying the weapon, but he dropped it and fled when police arrived, according to the release. After the man was apprehended, the weapon was determined to be a pellet gun.

Police were alerted to a report of an active shooter approximately 20 minutes later. Upon taking 23-year-old East Lansing resident Alec Freeman Keller into custody, the suspect was found with a .45 caliber handgun and several magazines. Police determined that Keller had fired shots in several different locations, with at least two rounds entering an occupied home. Keller has been charged with three felonies and a misdemeanor, with a combined maximum sentence of 17 years and 93 days. Keller is currently held at the Ingham County Jail on a $100,000 bond.

The third incident occurred at 2 a.m. Sunday at 2501 Abbot Road, when witnesses reported a suspect firing a gun into the air after a fight broke out. The suspect fired several more times after being chased by a group of people.

No one was hurt, but the suspect was not apprehended and the incident is under investigation. According to the press release, the suspect is described as a 6-foot black male in his early 20s, and fled the scene with a white male described as 5-foot-5, in his late 20s, with neck tattoos and potentially wearing saggy gray sweatpants and a gray shirt. The suspect might have escaped in a black vehicle.

Share and discuss “ELPD respond to three gun-related incidents over weekend ” on social media.