Numerous road closings planned during homecoming parade Friday

<p>The Spartan Marching Band performs the Fight Song during the Homecoming Parade on Oct. 2, 2015, on Abbott Road in East Lansing. </p>

The Spartan Marching Band performs the Fight Song during the Homecoming Parade on Oct. 2, 2015, on Abbott Road in East Lansing.

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

The parade will begin at the Abbot-Burcham intersection, a press release from the East Lansing Police Department said. It will travel down Abbot Road, east onto Grand River Avenue and south on Farm Lane. The parade will end at the intersection of Farm and Shaw Lanes.

“I advise students to steer clear of driving in the downtown area,” MSU police Lt. Shaun Mills said. “It’s going to be very crowded.”

ELPD made a list of intersections that will be closed during the parade, and they include:

Abbot Road, between Oxford Road/Whitehills Drive and Burcham Drive, from 2:30-7 p.m.

Abbot Road, between Burcham Drive and Grand River Avenue, from 5:30-7:15 p.m.

Burcham Drive, between Old Hickory Lane and Abbot Road, from 3:30-7:15 p.m.

Near the East Lansing Hannah Community Center, the following intersections will also be closed:

Centerlawn Avenue, from Forest Street to Abbot Road, from 2:30-7 p.m.

Evergreen Avenue, from Centerlawn Avenue to Northlawn Avenue, from 2:30-7 p.m.

Forest Street, from Centerlawn Avenue to Northlawn Avenue, from 2:30-7 p.m.

Fern Street, from Evergreen Avenue to Abbot Road, from 2:30-7 p.m.

ELPD Lt. Scott Wriggelsworth echoed Mills’ sentiments, having one message for students planning to drive that day: “don’t.”

“Travel by foot or by bike if you can on Oct. 14,” Wriggelsworth said. “Stay far away from downtown. If you need to drive, go as far as you can north or south of Grand River, because otherwise, you will get stuck in traffic for at least half an hour, if not more.”

Attendants of the parade are encouraged to wear green and white, and come out to have a good time celebrating with MSU alumni from all around.

“I highly encourage students to come out and see the event,” Wriggelsworth said. “But I would suggest walking there if you need to see it and live on or near campus. If you drive, you’ll be stuck in traffic for awhile.”

Share and discuss “Numerous road closings planned during homecoming parade Friday” on social media.