Letter: ASMSU president pledges to continue fight for diversity, inclusion

Spartan Family:

As the undergraduate student body president, who strives to create a diverse and inclusive community that is welcoming to all Spartans, I believe it is important for us to reaffirm our values and commitment to diversity and inclusion within ASMSU, and across campus.

The preamble of our ASMSU Constitution says it best:

“We recognize that the ultimate goal as students attending the University must be education. We also recognize and accept the responsibility to address the unique needs and concerns of the student community.”

“We recognize the individual liberties of our diverse population and ASMSU at no time shall discriminate on the basis of sex, religion, creed, sexual orientation, national origin, color, age, marital status, gender identity, differential physical ability, veteran status, political persuasion, or physical characteristics.”

We must stand together as Spartans. We must understand and recognize our own privilege. We must actively strive to hold productive conversations regarding matters of race and inclusion to end cultural oppression on campus. Right now, the necessity of these conversations has never been more urgent.

Student voices need to be elevated and should be prioritized in every decision within our university. I will continue to advocate for results in shifting the culture of our campus to ensure every student feels safe, and that we stand united against injustices toward any and all members of the student body. Each and every member of our community must be respected, regardless of their race and identity.

Diversity should not be considered a “buzzword,” but a catalyst for intellectual thought, a stronger future for MSU and an even more empowered campus community. Racial injustice still exists today, but we have the power to stand up to injustice and make change happen.

ASMSU will continue to make it a priority to do whatever it takes to bring these matters to the forefront of our advocacy on and off campus. We will continue to push the university administration to act upon the needs of the student body. We will listen to the voices of the marginalized and oppressed, and take action to lift those voices up to ensure every Spartan feels safe and welcomed at MSU.

In service and solidarity,

Lorenzo Santavicca

Lorenzo Santavicca is president of ASMSU. He can be reached at president@asmsu.msu.edu. 

Share and discuss “Letter: ASMSU president pledges to continue fight for diversity, inclusion ” on social media.