MSU, Maryland tied at the half

Senior wide receiver R.J Shelton (12), left, talks with sophomore wide receiver Felton Davis III (18) after scoring a touchdown in the third quarter during the game against Northwestern on Oct. 15, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. Shelton caught the 86 yard pass from senior quarter back Tyler O'Connor (7).
Senior wide receiver R.J Shelton (12), left, talks with sophomore wide receiver Felton Davis III (18) after scoring a touchdown in the third quarter during the game against Northwestern on Oct. 15, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. Shelton caught the 86 yard pass from senior quarter back Tyler O'Connor (7). —
Photo by Carly Geraci | and Carly Geraci The State News

Looking to snap a four game losing skid, MSU football is tied 14-14 with Maryland after the first half.

A week after starting against Northwestern, redshirt freshman quarterback Brian Lewerke took the opening snaps again for the Spartans. After Not passing for the first 10 offensive plays, Lewerke’s second pass, a deep ball shot intended for Donnie Corley, was intercepted setting up Maryland’s first score.

The Terrapin’ struck first with 2:51 remaining in the first quarter on a 96 yard drive ending in a eight yard touchdown run by running back Lorenzo Harrison.The score would be capped off by a two point conversion putting Maryland up, 8-0.

The Terrapins churned through the MSU defense on the strength of its running game and was aided by the ejection of fifth year senior linebacker Riley Bullough for targeting. In total, Bullough’s three penalties afforded Maryland 45 free yards.

Bullough had incurred two personal fouls by that point, one for a late hit out of bounds and another for roughing the passer. MSU continued to have trouble tackling, allowing Maryland plenty of space to pick up easy yards on the drive.

After stalling on its first four drives, MSU’s lone bright spot of the first half, running back LJ Scott bolted for a 48 yard touchdown run. The score with 9:41 left in the second quarter brought MSU within a point at 8-7, after the extra point. Scott finished the half with 12 carries for 93 yards.

Maryland later added a touchdown with 5:41 to go in the half on a 36 yard touchdown pass from Perry Hills to an alone D.J. Moore. The extra point darted wide left, giving Maryland a 14-7 lead.

MSU responded with a touchdown drive of its own, albeit on the ground behind a 52 yard rushing effort by Gerald Holmes. Holmes final carry of his eight found him in the endzone after a one yard rush setting MSU up to tie the game at 14-14.

Holmes finished the half with 11 carries for 56 yards.

Despite early struggles throwing the ball, Lewerke started finding receivers and opening up the offense, finishing 7-of-12 for 106 yards.

In a two minute drill MSU moved down the field to the Maryland 28 yard line but botched a fake field goal attempt sending the game into the half tied at 14-14.

Share and discuss “MSU, Maryland tied at the half” on social media.